Chapter 8

"Have you ever heard of that happening before?" I asked with a slight tremble in my voice. What if something was wrong with me? What if it meant something really bad? "Yeah but let's go see father to just to make sure everything is fine." Lance said to reassure me and even added a smile. "Okay, but what was it that you heard about it? Is it bad? Is there something wrong with me?" I said quickly eager, but scared for him to answer me. "Calm down, Vick and we'll ask father. He will answer your questions. He will know more than me." I nodded and followed behind my older brother, though I wished he would walk faster. When we finally made it back to the ballroom it was still teeming with people and so it was a little bit harder to find anybody especially with all the masks. Maybe a masquerade was not the best idea. Okay, maybe I could smell him out. I thought to myself hoping that all the people's odors won't hinder my sense to much. "Lance can you smell him? Because I can't with all the lycans and vamps crowded together." He shook his head no and I sighed, "Okay then lets split up. Do you have your phone on you?" he nodded and walked in the direction of the main door to the ballroom. If I was an important man that wanted to be somewhere people can come up and talk to me where would I be? I asked myself, then headed towards side of the ballroom that the tables where pushed against the wall. As I looked around for my father plain black mask, I felt eyes on me and it made the hair on the back of my neck prickle. Someone was practically staring holes through me, but who?

"Victoria, sorry I had was called by Cameron's father. He couldn't come tonight and he was checking up on his son. You looked intent on finding someone, who?" I turned and smiled at James. "It's fine I know how the earl can be, especially since his son is in a mansion full of Lycans. I was looking for my father, something strange happened and I need to find him. Have you seen him?" I asked looking around. "Yes, he is at a table farther down next to the stage." He replied with a smile and offered me his arm to escort me. I grinned taking his arm and placed a kiss on his masked cheek. "Thank you, James. I'm glad you came tonight. Though won't you get in trouble for not keeping an eye on Cameron?" he chuckled and led me toward my father. "Well I explained the circumstance and the earl kindly sent another guard to take over babysitting duty. Me protecting Cameron was a volunteer thing. I actually a higher rank than him, though I don't think he knows that. My father is the third and youngest son of Queen Lurana, he is fourth in line to the throne. When I told him I wanted to be trained as a guard, he gave me his blessing, but I was not to tell anyone of my status."

"So, does the earl know this and are you not going to be Cameron's guard anymore?" I asked astonished by all this information. We stopped walking and my questions unanswered since we finally got to my father. I almost had forgotten why I had been looking for him in the first place. "Victoria! How's the birthday girl enjoying her party?" my father asked smiling from where he was sitting with a few of my uncles. My mother was sitting behind him at a separate table with my aunts. I smiled, "A few bumps in the road but it's getting way better. Oh, yeah this is James. He's uhmm my uh friend..." I let go of James' arm but was stopped by his hand. "Sir, if you would allow me, I would like to court your daughter." James then bowed his head and waited for my father's reply. I was shocked. I had been a little scared of labeling James since we really could not be labeled yet, but him asking my father permission to court me was a shock and an excitement. I stared at my father, hoping that he would keep his words from earlier.

My father's face became blank and I couldn't figure out what he was thinking. Was he going to refuse to let a Vampire court his daughter? I looked at my mother to see if she had any idea what her husband's answer would be. "Victoria is this what you want?" my father finally said his voice being the same as when he is talking to the councils. "Yes, it is. James has been very kind to me and I would like to spend time with him." I said holding my head high. I was his daughter so even if he refused I was ready to argue until my face turned blue. I kept eye contact with my father and his face broke into a smile. "Of course you can son, though there will be rules and you have to get permission of course from your own parents." James looked up and extended his arm to shake my father's hand. My father stood up from his seat and grasped James' hand in his. "My father and mother are actually here, I will go and find them. I do believe your daughter was looking for you for another reason though." James said before bowing and turning to look for his parents.

"Oh, right! So, I was out in the garden with the twins and they decided to go back inside so I was left alone to look at the stars. Then someone came out and tried to force his unwanted attentions on me and Lance showed up. But of course the guy didn't get the situation and refused to leave so, I got anger and snapped at him. I almost couldn't control my anger and had a hard time calming down after the scoundrel fled from my anger. Though the part I really wanted to tell you is that my eyes changed to silver according to Lance, and Lance seemed a bit scared to approach me. What do you think that means?" My father was radiating anger from my story though he stood up in shock when I explained the last part.