Chapter 13

The car ride home was silent as I remembered the events of the night with a wistful smile on my lips. I wanted nothing more to spend time with James, but I knew that we would have to find the time to do so. My schedule alone was going to be difficult to navigate but not know his made it even harder. I wanted to get to know him better and that would require time together, it seemed our timing was off. Though I refused to let that be an obstacle in our way, I wanted this more than I ever wanted anything else so far in my life. That was weird, right? Wanting this even though I hadn't seen him before now, well seen him in this way. He had been part of the background, someone who was always there but never made himself noticeable. But now he was clearly there to me, I could him and he stood out like a shining light in the darkness. And I was a mindless moth attracted to his light.

I sighed and looked towards front window of the car the sun lightening the dark blue sky. I love this time of day; it was so serene. We were at the front gates of the estate when the first light of day shined over the building cluttered horizon. As the car stopped in front of the front entrance fatigue seemed to finally hit me. The excitement of the whole night had seemed to give me energy but arriving home seemed to sap that energy away from me. I stepped out of the car when Jonah opened it for me and I gratefully took his arm when he offered it. Being one of the closest people to me he could read me easily. He led me through the front door and up the stairs to my room. I gave an appreciative smile and squeezed his arm before letting go, "thank you, Jonah" I softly murmured before stumbling into my room. Jonah closed the door behind me and I pulled the dress over my head sluggishly and tossed it toward the general direction of my clothes basket. I pulled a sleeping gown from my closet and slipped it on before crawling into bed. My eyes fluttered closed and my consciousness was stolen away from me by sleep.

My sleep was dreamless and I was awoken by the sound of someone knocking on my door. "Come in," I called out groggily to whoever that decided to wake me. My personal maid Mara opened the door slowly and inched into my room, she was still new and she seemed scared that she was going to do something wrong or offend me. "Good morning, Princess. Breakfast is being served and the Queen said that you have cello lessons today. Also, she expects you to spend at least four hours reading about the Royal History." Mara told me her voice quiet and timid. I nodded in understanding, "okay thank you Mara and what did I tell you about call me Princess when it's just us. I want you to call me Vicky, we spend enough time together that you are allowed. I insist upon it, also could you pick out my clothes for today, I really like your last selection." I told her my voice soothing and I hoped reassuring. She nodded mutely and quickly, before closing the door behind her and going to my closet to pick an outfit.

I pushed the covers off me and climbed out of my bed to go to the bathroom. I used the bathroom and brushed my teeth before going back in my room to see that Mara had placed a comfortable mint green sun dress that went to my knees. It was one of my favorite, "thank you Mara, you may leave," I told Mara as I selected a pair of matching undergarments. "Yes, Princ- I mean. Yes, V-Vicky." She stuttered out before leaving my bedroom. I got dressed and sat down in front of my mirror, maybe I shouldn't have dismissed Mara so quickly I needed help with my unruly bed hair. I sighed before deciding to just braid it into a messy side braid, when mom saw it she would probably ask me what I was thinking.

I looked at myself for a few seconds before turning away from my reflection before exiting my bedroom to be greeted by Jonah. "Good morning, Vicky. Did you sleep well?" he asked offering his arm, which I know sounds weird but it was just something that we did. I placed my hand on his arm and he lead me down to the dining room. All my siblings and both of my parents are sitting at the table eating as I walk in. I let go of Jonah and he walks to his usual spot behind where I sat at the table. I sit down and greet my family cheerfully with a "good morning" which in turn I received bewildered looks from my parents and brother and knowing looks from my sisters. "Good morning, darling. Your tutor is expecting you in 30 minutes, I hope you had not forgotten," my mother said taking a sip of her morning tea. I smiled and nodded my head, "I did not forget mother. I also know that I have cello lessons today and I have to spend time reading the Royal History on my own today." She nodded her facial features still showing bewilderment of my chipper attitude. "So, Vicky how was your date with James yesterday?" Veronica mischief in her eyes, Valentine smirking next to her obviously amused.

I slowly took a sip of my orange juice and smiled cheekily to my sisters, "It was not a date I just went to spend time with his parents and him to get to know them." Both scoffed at my reply and shared a knowing look between them. I rolled my eyes at them and dug into my scrambled eggs and toast. "How was your visit with James, Clara and Sebastian, then?" my mother asked obviously wanting to know just like the twins. I rolled my eyes and placed my toast I had been eating down on the plate, "It was great, I got to spend time with Clara while I was waiting for James to get home. She is really interesting and very kind; I want to spend more time with her." She smiled and nodded, "I am glad, not many people want to associate with her in the vampire community because she is a witch. It's sad really, she is such great company." Her smiled dimmed a bit as she said the words. I shook my head in disappointment at such bigotry, "well, I want to find time in my schedule to spend time with Clara and hopefully James though he will be busy with his new position in the guard." I explained before starting to eat again. "Of course, I will talk to Clara and see what we can do," mother said sharing a look with my father, who nodded his approval.