✨Chapter 16✨

11:15 my clock read. Perfect. This time I promised myself I wouldn't be late.

Yep you guessed it. I'm sneaking out for another night of truck beds and my friends. Like I said it's a pretty regular thing.

This time I told Marcus just to meet me there since it would be easier to make an excuse if I got caught alone.

I pulled on my black athletic shorts and a neon green tank top and my running shoes, opting for comfort instead of style this time, since it's starting to get really hot and I'd rather not sweat through my overpriced Victoria's Secret jacket again.

I grab my phone from my night table, shut off the lights, and swing my leg over the window sill. I'm pretty tall, about 5'7, and have really long legs, Which in some situations (like finding a boyfriend I can wear heels with) is annoying but it's useful at times like this.

As I land on the ground I see a figure running towards me. For a second I freak out, trying to decide weather or not I should run for my life or kick the figure in the stomach. But as they get closer I realise it's Jackson wearing a black tee shirt and grey running shorts. His chestnut hair was limp, as if he'd been outside for awhile.

"Hey." I said as he jogged closer.
Really? How lame does that even sound gosh Kenzie.

"Hey Mackenzie." Jackson said slightly out of breath. One thing I noticed about Jackson was that he used people's names when he was talking to him. I liked that a lot about him for some reason.

"Going for a night run? Looks like we think alike." He said looking at me with an expression I couldn't read. "Not exactly." I said. "Follow me and I'll show you."

I grab his arm and pull him into a run. He stumbles and looks at me in confusion. "Just follow me." I say looking behind my shoulder.

This is probably a bad idea. One, because my friends don't really enjoy inviting a bunch of people to these things. I'm pretty sure you've guessed but there's more than just 7 kids my age that live here in Disney World. If we could invite all of them we would, but there's around 30 of us, so it'd be really hard to keep it all on the down low with so many people. And two, how is it gonna look to Marcus with me showing up with some other uninvited dude? i don't know whats come over me but I wanted to be around this kid more. A lot has changed over the past few years, and hanging out with him is my method of indirectly catching up. And by that i mean seeing if he has a girlfriend oops. See i knew i shouldn't have invited him.

All these thoughts are swirling around my head as we jog to the security guard, and i'm so distracted that i almost miss his desk. Backtracking, I stuff my hand in my shorts pocket, looking for a spare twenty. My hands come up empty Dang it, i must've grabbed the wrong shorts.

Jonathan, the security guard, raises an eyebrow at me. Me and him have formed sort of an unspoken agreement over the years if you haven't guessed. I pay him, he doesn't say anything. One time i forgot to pay him, and he almost ratted me, so i know he's not afraid to do it again, especially when i'm sneaking out with a boy that's not Marcus. oh boy would my dad have a field day with that, and Jonathan knows it, i can see it all over his face.

All of the sudden Jackson slides a thirty under the slot on Jonathan's desk. "I got it," he says, glancing over at me in the dark with a still confused expression, his face barely illuminated by the parking lot street lights to our right. It didn't say anything, it was best not to.

I turned on my heel and ran out into the dim parking lot, jackson following close behind.

After a minute or two, we arrived at the trucks, tailgating in the midst of vast rows and rows of parking spaces. They were several yards ahead of us, but i could still hear the rap music blaring from the dark blue pickup that belonged to cameron.