Prologue | It was a good idea at the time

Daisy Clementine Smith to the side as Elliot
Tbh I like her angular features and think it makes her look sort of tough

"You did what?"

"I threw my shoe at him," I repeated proudly.

Mary facepalmed in exasperation, not realizing her hand was smeared with ketchup.

"Gross," she complained and grabbed several napkins.

"You know, I'm pretty sure he's somewhere right now thinking, 'I came out to have a good time and honestly I feel so attacked,'" Jack chuckled. He swiped some of Mary's fries as she was distracted by the ketchup.

"My food, Jack," Mary scowled and smacked his arm. He pouted and grumbled.

"Well I was forced into that horrendous dance in a tight dress and uncomfortable heels. All I wanted was to leave as soon as it was over but no. I danced with some guy just for the heck of it and then he wanted to talk and socialize with me. So I chucked a heel at him. He's not dead," I frown in thought, "At the least blinded."

"Not the point Elliott. But what if he decides to press charges?" Mary frets.

I snort in disbelief. "How would he find me?"

"Uh, he does have your shoe." Jack points out annoyingly.

I pale considerably. "I so should not have done that."

"Ya think?" Jack responds in a high pitched voice.

"Really not the time for your unique sense of humor. El, this was for your own good. To socialize. Since when did socialize mean run from the one person who talked to you and injure them?" Mary threw her hands up in defeat.

"It was a good idea at the time," I grumble and sip my milkshake unhappily.

"Did you get a good look at whoever it was?" Jack asks.

"No, I didn't. Everyone was wearing masks. His hair was brown, the most generic hair color that practically 80% of the school has, and that's all I remember."

"Well, chances are he won't go looking for you," Mary reassures me.

"Except what if he does? It would be so adorable OMG I SHIP IT," Jack squeals.

A few heads in the restaurant turn to look at him and I send sharp glares their way. With fear in their eyes, they resume eating.

Mary sighs and shakes her head. "Why am I even dating you?"

"Cuz I'm fabulous and y'all just jelly," he says with a badly attempted hair flip, as his close cropped hair doesn't exactly work well.

We laugh and Mary seems to contemplate his earlier words.

"It would be so cute though. Just like in Cinderella!" Her eyes light up and I scoff.

I don't need any more reasons for my life to be like the most pathetic fairy tale in history.

Cinderella has no guts. She doesn't fight back from her ridiculous stepwitches and just lets them use her like a doormat. She needs a guy to sort out her life. Absolutely pathetic if you ask me.

We finish off our food and leave the restaurant. As we're heading towards her car Mary screams, "Oh my gosh, those were my heels! You are so getting me new ones!"

That's what I get for having a fashionista as a best friend.