// Chapter 4 //

"I love you," Germany whispered in my ear.

America burst into the room and grabbed Ecuador by the neck.

"Goodbye," she said.

Spain, Australia, Korea, and Britain followed. They shot bullets everywhere. One accidently shot America as she fell to the floor. I stared in disbelief. Germany stood up and started to shoot a gun of his own. Korea stabbed a knife through his stomach. I tried to get up and fight, but it felt as if my muscles were paralyzed. My mouth seemed to be stuck, as I attempted to yell. Ecuador ran toward me and shot Britain. Spain shot Ecuador in return. I tried once more to stand up. Spain started to come towards me. I tried to scream.

"Indie?" Germany said, shaking me.

I shot up, sweat dripping from my face.

"What... What happened?" I struggled to say.

"After Ecuador and I came to get you, you passed out. Then we carried you back to the room. You've been asleep for five hours. Suddenly you started yelling and thrashing around. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Just a nightmare."

Ecuador walked in. Concern took over his usual cool expression. But was the worry for me or America?

"How are you feeling?" he gently asked me, stroking my forehead.

"Fine," I replied with a shaky voice.

The room was silent for awhile. Germany and Ecuador exchanged glances, as if they were keeping something away from me, and couldn't decide who would break the news to me.

"Ecuador? Germany? Is there something you need to tell me?" I questioned, desperate to know what had happened.

"Ecuador tell her," Germany said.

"No Germany. You," Ecuador said back.

"You."

"No you."

Getting impatient, I broke the squabble.

"Tell me already!"

Germany and Ecuador exchange worried glances. Ecuador opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Germany spoke for him. " India."

" WHAT??" Impatience grew inside me.

" Okay, so, Spain has some plans. He plans on finishing off his team by killing them tonight except for Britain. Then Spain wants to set our room on fire but he needs you alive."

" Why me?" I wondered out loud.

" That's what we wondered. Britain and you..." Ecuador wandered off in thought.

"I'm not letting you two die. Anyways, serves Korea right to ditch our team and go back to Spain. Also, we are saving... America!"

We all hopped of my bed at the same time. Germany gave me a light hug and went out of the room. Ecuador held me back.

"Is it true that you like me and not Germany?" he whispered into my ear.

"I'm not sure. I can't really decide between you two...."

" What?" Germany's head swiveled back to us from behind the open door. He comes stalking back in, his expression mushed with a mix of anger and a broken heart feeling.

" I almost forgot." He got up in my face until our noses touched and our faces squished together. His eyes were narrowed, but mine were wide with concern. This is not good.

"Germany?" Ecuador interrupted, voice full of concern. "India said that s -"

"It's not about that!" Germany spat out.

My stomach twisted with knots. Is it about America? Or did someone else....

My thoughts were stanched by Germany once again.

"This is about what Spain said."

I stole a glance at Ecuador. He turned pale, fists clenched.

"You said you wouldn't tell her," Ecuador faintly said out.

"Oh I think it would only help India make her decision," Germany innocently replied with a shrug.

"Germany! You can't..." Ecuador objected.

"So India," Germany whirled around towards me, ignoring Ecuador. "Seems that we have some - hmm what's the word? Ah yes, relations between the eight members here. Looks like Ecuador here has a girlfriend, before all of this."

"Who?" I said, wondering who it could be. America? Korea? Or me?

"I'll let Ecuador answer that one," Germany evilly said, walking out the door.

I turned back towards Ecuador, repeating my question.

"Who?"

"Indie... wait India.... or is it ok..."

"Call me Indie. I don't care. Just tell me who," I snapped, impatient to hear the name of this girl.

"Indie... it is... or it was...." Ecuador trailed off. He stared at his feet, guilty, as I shook my head in disbelief.

Was? So not anymore? I felt betrayed.

" I really do love America. She, just, looks h-" he stopped himself before saying the word. "Sorry." He sheepishly mumbled, " I just like her a bit more. She actually brightens my day, and just is always happy. You know?" He gently laid a hand on my shoulder.

I pulled away, tears welling in my eyes. Before I could reply, Germany stepped forward.

" Okay!" He bellowed and claps his hands loudly. " Sounds like Ecuador had a secret. Why didn't you tell us who you really loved before? Is it that you can't trust us?"

" No! It's not like that!" Ecuador shouted.

Germany looked uncertain.

" Should I really trust you?" I cut in. " You just..." I struggled to go on through a stream of tears. " you dumped me."

" I get that you feel that way," Ecuador explained. " But you should have known. You're just always serious and bossy. I just couldn't tell you earlier or on the computer. I thought I loved you, but everytime I see America, I... The only reason there was a computer malfunction was because I was trying to get to America not you! We had been seeing each other for over a year! America is just -" he seemed to float away. Then he snapped back awake, suddenly looking angry. " I can't stand you! Indie, India! Stop calling me your boyfriend because I love America, not you! Go love Germany!"

Germany slowly and awkwardly eased himself out of the room.

" I hate you! You monster, cheater, liar!" I turned furious and balled my fists with rage. " I never expected it to, to end like this!" I cried as I spoke. " Leave me alone, jerk! You'll be better off with that freak anyways! She'll betray you one day and you'll feel what I feel! Then you'll come back crying to me, saying I love you and that you should have known! Now go idiot!"

"America would never do that!"

Ecuador turned on his heel and stormed off, slamming the metal door behind him.

This is a moment I will remember forever. It will play over and over again. This terrible moment.

Our break up moment.

------

"Night," Germany said to me.

"Night."

I rolled around my bed, trying to get comfortable. So much can happen in a day. Thoughts raid my mind as I think about Tomorrow.

I know that I want to get America back, as much as I wouldn't. She was still my best friend, and she never did anything wrong to me. I think about it, how I would feel if my best friend traded me for a traitor. Anger bubbled through me, and I would feel like killing them. Praying that America would forgive me, I ponder on the events of the future.