Late Night

Late Night                                                                          Jen’s Point of View

(One Year Later)

            A knock broke through the sweet sound of music playing over the phonograph. I took the needle off and went to answer the door. It was Roger and Judy.

“It’s so nice to see you!” I exclaimed, hugging Judy and Roger.

“It’s been so long.” Judy said. “How‘ve you been?”

 “We came across the postman on our way in, handed us your mail. You’ve got a letter.” Roger added. He gave me a sealed envelope with a Cambridge address on it.

“Isn’t it Syd’s parent’s address?” Roger commented after a long silence.

“What would Syd’s parent’s be doing writing you?” Judy asked.

“I don’t know. S’pose I should open it.” I said, tearing open the letter.

My Dearest Jenny,

        I miss you. I know you wouldn’t pick up if I rung, or answered the door if I called. So, writing this letter was my only option. Rosemary actually sent it in the post. It’s her writing on the outside; she doesn’t want me to know where you live. I guess it is better that way.

        I have a confession. I really didn’t write to tell you about Rosemary and all that. I thought you might be interested in knowing that I’ve moved back in with my mum. Actually, moved back several months ago. Rosemary’s been driving me up to see a doctor in North London to get help. Sam, your old doctor. That’s where she got your new address. Sam says you’re doing well now and only go to see him once every three or four months. I’m happy for you.      

        I won’t be bothering you anymore. I’m hoping that when I clean myself up, I’ll be able to start a new life for myself…like we had imagined. I don’t expect things to go back to the way they were before Pink Floyd or before the drugs. But I hope one day, we could be friends again.

        I still dream of you some nights. Your laugh, the way you used to kiss me… These memories will always be special to me.

                                                                Always Yours,

                                                                        Roger Keith Barrett