Chapter 3

Chapter 3

One week later Niyati arrived at J&K securities to meet with Shane. It had been one of the longest and toughest weeks for her. Starting with reading of her grandparent's will. The discussion regarding her younger sister's marriage arrangements hadn't gone well either. And then there had been the problems with several hotels owned by their corporation.

She decided to tackle the hotel problems first hence her visit to Shane at his firm instead of his home.

The receptionist looked up when the Niyati walked up to her desk, "May I help you?" She asked pleasantly.

"Yes, my name is Niyati Gupta. I am here to see Shane Jackson please."

The receptionist stood up immediately and came around her desk, "Please follow me." Shane must have asked receptionist to bring her in as soon as she showed up.

Niyati looked around the building as the receptionist led her through a room with set of several cubicles and offices. She stopped in front of another set of double doors and knocked then waited for a moment before opening the door.

"Mr. Jackson, there is someone here to see you."

Shane looked past the receptionist and grinned widely when he spotted Niyati near the door. He jumped up from his seat immediately and walked towards her.

"Hey beautiful, you are finally here. Why didn't you call me when you got into town?"

Before she could respond Shane embraced her into his arms to hug her. She just shook her head and smiled at her friend's antics as she hugged him back. "It's been a busy week." She was unaware that two other people sitting in the room were witnessing her reunion with her friend.

Shane stepped back, "Okay, I am just glad you are finally here. Let me introduce you to my partners."

"Niyati, what are you doing here?"

Shane put his hands in his slack pockets and rocked on his heels with a raised eyebrow while Alisha gave Varun a sharp look. Niyati was too stunned to respond.

"Do you know her?" Alisha snapped.

Varun realized he spoke without thinking and felt awkward. He blurted out the first thing that came to his mind. "Yeah, she is my sister's best friend." He smacked himself mentally when he saw pain flicker in Niyati's eyes before she looked away.

Shane took her arm and stepped forward, "Niyati, meet Alisha Tandon and you already know Varun it seems."

Niyati gave Alisha a fleeting smile and held out her hand, "Nice to meet you."

Alisha shook her hand and gave her a hard look before releasing her hand quickly. She was surprised by the flash of animosity in Alisha's eyes and wondered at the reason for it.

She shrugged away the feeling and turned to Varun, "It is nice to see you again." He nodded his head then an awkward silence settled in the room.

Shane shook his head in bafflement then turned to Niyati to break the uneasy silence in the room. "Let's talk in my office before we get down to offering you our services.

She followed Shane out of the room and waited until they were in a privacy of his office before giving him an inquiring look.

He felt her gaze on him and turned to Niyati to give her a similar look. "You want to say something?"

"I am wondering what you are up to." She leaned against his desk.

He placed his hand over his heart, "You wound me beautiful. I am not up to anything." Before she got too curious Shane changed the subject. "So how did the big meeting go?"