Chapter 7

A/N: Just to clarify things. Varun and Niyati first met eight years ago, he was on his way to be a rookie cop on the streets of Baltimore while she was in her first year of college. Over the next three years they will manage to form a friendship and even be engaged but things happen and Niyati decides to walk away. She returns after five years. So I have decided to post year and season whenever I write about their past to keep things straight. Hope this will clear some confusion.

Chapter 7

Past.. (Spring 2007)

"Nidhi!"

Niyati shouted for her roommate as she walked into the house and slammed the door shut. Dropping her things, on the sofa in the living room, she rushed towards the kitchen, knowing her friend must be starting dinner. She stopped short near the kitchen counter when she saw Varun sitting at the counter.

"Oh..Hi," She greeted him with a small smile then looked around, "Where is Nidhi?" Spotting the vegetable on the counter she immediately washed her hands and started preparing for dinner to keep from staring at him. He looked gorgeous in a teal blue shirt and well-worn jeans. She sighed silently, it's been six months since she met him but her attraction to the good looking man, sitting at her kitchen counter, was showing no signs of dwindling. As she started chopping the peppers she took a quick peek at him from the corner of her eye, in fact her fascination for him is growing stronger by the day. He looked so sexy, with a five O'clock shadow on his face, his hair disheveled as if he had run his hand through it several times.

She didn't know why he had this crazy effect on her, it's not like he had done anything overt to attract her to him. In fact she knew for sure that he didn't approve of her, that should have lessened his appeal to her but the minute she lays eyes on him all the reason why she should stay away from him flies out the window. She tried her best to forget the first encounter with him, even tried to date couple of the men from college, but she kept comparing them to Varun and found them lacking. She tried to steer clear of him but his unexpected visits prevented her from avoiding him.

"Niyati!" She jumped at the shout and dropped the knife. She had spaced out while chopping the vegetables and almost cut her finger. She took a deep breath and turned to see Varun standing close to her watching her with a frown.

"S-sorry," she stammered out and looked away from the intensity of his gaze. "Where did you say Nidhi took off to?"

Varun didn't take his eyes off of her, "I didn't."

"Actually, I sent Nidhi to run an errand for me." He made himself look away from the pretty sight in front of him. Niyati hadn't been the only one lost in her own world. The minute she stepped into the kitchen, Varun had lost all train of thoughts. She looked beautiful in knee length, flowery dress. His body had reacted to her presence instantly. He had forgotten why he had come to visit Nidhi and the reason why he had sent her off on a fake errand. He had avoided being alone with Niyati until now but today he hadn't wanted his sister to be around the house when he spoke to Niyati.

"Is everything okay?" Letting out a silent breath, when he looked away from her, Niyati turned back to the vegetable she was chopping earlier.

"I wanted to thank you."

She turned towards him in surprise and looked directly at him, "For what?"

"For being Nidhi's friend and for standing up for her during sorority initiation." He also wanted to apologize for doubting her.

"I didn't have to do anything. It wasn't bad as I first thought it would be." She wondered why he felt the need to thank her for something so trivial.