Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Present..

Varun snapped out of his memories of the past at the shrill sound of his phone. He frowned when he saw Shane's name flash on the caller ID, "Yeah, Shane?"

"We have to meet with Niyati at her office tomorrow to discuss what she needs from us and work on the contracts." Shane quickly gave him the details of what Niyati will be requiring of them and confirmed the time of the meeting before hanging up.

Niyati confirmed the appointment time with Shane then hung up the phone and gazed out at the night. If she had known Varun was Shane's partner she would never have approached his firm.

She sighed, whether she liked it or not she will have to work with him for the sake of her company.

Shane disconnected the call and grinned, "What are you so happy about?" Asked a sarcastic voice from behind him.

He turned towards Alisha who was staring at him with a scowl, "You wouldn't understand."

"As if I want to understand you." She was still smarting from his warning earlier.

He followed her to her office, "Are you jealous?"

"Me? Jealous of you?" She scoffed at him, "Like hell," she muttered under her breath and turned away quickly before he could read the truth in her face.

She would never admit to herself let alone him but if she were to be honest she had felt the green monster awaken within her recently. She knew exactly when she started feeling the restlessness. It was two weeks ago when she had heard him conversing on the phone. She had ignored the unease until she met Niyati this morning and realized he had been talking to her two weeks ago.

Alisha and Shane had met two years ago at a charity ball for the police force. She had been a detective with Baltimore police and he had been in the process of opening his first security firm with Varun.

She didn't know him personally but his reputation had preceded him and initially that had made her weary of him. He had asked her out on a date several times and each time she had declined, but she had instantly taken the job he offered her with his firm.

Over the past two years she had gotten to know him better and found that there was more to Shane Jackson than what he showed to the world. Her feelings towards him changed significantly and up until few months ago he had still asked her out occasionally but no more.

Had she taken him for granted? Why does it matter now? He finally gave up on her but why does that hurt? Like it or not Alisha is going to have to face the consequences of her decision to not get involved with Shane personally.

***

Next morning Varun pulled up at Niyati's office, at the Baltimore Harbor Hotel in downtown, fifteen minutes before the appointment time. After speaking to Shane he had familiarized himself with all the hotels owned by G&S corporations. There are five in all in Baltimore and other few scattered around the United States.

Shane had brought him up to date on happenings at the Hotels and what Niyati is going to need from them. They definitely had their work cut out for them as far as the job goes, but that is not the only reason Varun showed up for the meeting earlier than the scheduled time. He had some personal issues with her that needs to be dealt with and he is hoping to speak to her before they get down to business.

From her office, on the top floor of the hotel, Niyati watched Varun disappear into the lobby. She had been at the window admiring the view of the harbor when she saw him step out of his car and look around.