Chapter Thirteen

Stygian Summers

Even though yesterday was crashed by some of our pack members I wouldn't change Rhyme and my first date for the world. It was perfect, quiet for the first part and exciting for the second. It had been a while since Rhyme and I actually spent time together so a full day of Rhyme was exactly what I needed. Not that I wanted to leave his side so soon.

Yesterday's activities took a bit of a toll on Rhyme and his injures, so he was now sore and resting in bed again. I felt a little responsible and wanted to take care of him but Hazel reminded me I have a whole bunch of 'chores' to do. Therefore I had to ask True and Anon to keep my mate company while I did my job as Beta.

First off I had to break up a stupid squabble between a few of the pack members. Usually I would delegate these sorts of tasks to Revel but I couldn't find him quick enough and these things needed solved right away. After breaking up the fight, over an unclaimed, unmated sub of all things, I had to go personally check our borders which took most of the day. Some of our Sentinels picked up foreign scents along them. Unfortunately Bloody Water was starting to push our borders. Meaning they are getting ready to move, and we needed stronger pack members at the borders constantly.

More work for me...

"-eally?" As I walked toward the down stairs office I could hear Crayton. Hesitating I wondered if I should link him first to ask if the conversation was one I could enter or not. Unfortunately I heard something that set my blood on fire before I could make a decision.

"Yes, I'm serious. Rhyme has more skills than anyone gives him credit for. Not only is he loyal, he is also a skilled fighter. Obviously everyone knows this from the stories but we've actually witnessed it. His survival skills are off the chart, and he can already block me out of his mind, and create a group link. He has the skills of a leader. He hides his dominant traits but I know you've seen them too. We need him to be a Sentinel. His skills are too valuable to leave." Revel explained adamantly.

Crayton sighed. "I know; I noticed the day I officially accepted him into the pack. He was way stronger then I first realized. If I didn't know better, which I don't, I would swear he was destined to be a Beta, if not an Alpha. The determination in his eyes set me on edge sometime. I have had to hold back growls of challenge at times because I feel my position being threatened."

"Bullshit!" I roared storming into the room. "First of all Rhyme has never in anyway 'challenged' you with words or actions! If anything he has only shown you the highest respect!" I bellowed defending my mate, growls lacing my tone heavily. "And second of all Rhyme will NOT be a Sentinel! He has had way too many hardships already. He doesn't need any more. He deserves to relax and be pampered."

Crayton slammed his fist down on his desk nearly cracking the wooded surface. "Stygian Summers do NOT raise your voice to me again!" He boomed loudly making the entire mansion shake. "I am your Alpha and expect my Beta to treat me with respect no matter how close we are as friends."

I shrank back and lowered my gaze in embarrassment. "I'm sorry Alpha."

"Good, now sit down." Crayton ordered.

I grabbed the unused chair and pulled it closer to the desk sitting down with a huff. Revel took a shaky breath as he straightened in his seat slowly recovering from our Alpha's outburst.

"I know how much you value Rhyme and I wasn't suggesting he showed me any disrespect. I wouldn't have let him join the pack if that was the case. I was just noting that my wolf side senses Rhyme's dominate traits and is threatened by them. I am quite certain Rhyme has no clue he possesses these traits and I am positive that even if he did know he wouldn't act upon them, at least not with me or Hazel. As Revel stated; Rhyme is extremely loyal. He would never risk losing his place in the pack when he respects the hierarchy, and wants a place to belong." Crayton paused watching me for objections before continuing. "As for the Sentinel part, I believe Rhyme should be the one to choose whether or not he wants the responsibility. Personally I would be glad to have him in our higher ranks."