Chapter 29

Haley's POV:

It's been a week since I first entered New York. Like I said, I didn't have that much money when I first came here, so I've started playing my guitar to get tips. Actually, that's what I'm about to do now. I wrote this song recently. I honestly think Pony lied when he said he didn't like Cherry anymore. Sometimes in public, I would catch him glancing at her and her glancing at him. I bit my tongue then. I didn't want to ruin mine and his relationship. He did though. I start to play.

Can't see you anymore
You're in and shut the door
Didn't know what I do know now
The words have been betrayed
You respond and let them fade
And I just won't let you bring me down

You can see what I know and I know
Somewhere there's a sorry heart

Tell me why these roads keep leading
Leading you right back to me

Liar liar, don't cry on my shoulder
You played with fire
And smiled when you told her
Wo-ah, oh, thought you were someone
Ah-oh, oh goodbye to no one

So break away the touch
Of bliss you miss so much
But I won't tell you to come back home
Emotions dissipate;
Is love designed to hate?
Keep on driving away from here

Eye the rain as it falls in your hands
Will there be another storm?

Tell me why these roads keep leading
Leading you right back

Liar liar, don't cry on my shoulder
You played with fire
And smiled when you told her
Wo-ah, oh, thought you were someone
Ah-oh, oh, goodbye to no one

I don't need to know you'll be there
You're not on my mind
I don't need to know you care
Please don't waste my time

Liar liar, don't cry on my shoulder
You played with fire
And smiled when you told her
Liar liar, don't cry on my shoulder
You played with fire
And smiled when you told her
Wo-ah, oh, thought you were someone
Ah-oh, oh goodbye to no one
Wo-ah, oh, thought you were someone
Ah-oh, oh goodbye to no one

By the time I finished the song, there was already a crowd. I used the case that my guitar was in for the tips. While I played and sang, people threw money in it. I've made almost eighty dollars for the whole entire week. Not much, but enough to get by. I pick up all the money, which wasn't much, and put my guitar in its case. I make my way down the street until I bump into someone. "Hey, watch it you brat!" The person yelled. "Actually you watch it." I muttered and started to walk away until the person grabbed my arm. "What'd you say to me you little bitch!?" The dude spat. He was a rough lookin feller, lemme tell you that. "I said, actually you watch it!" I spat right back. That pissed him off. He punched me straight in the face, causing me to stumble back a little. I retaliated right back with a right hook. Causing him to fall on his ass. I went to punch him again, but instead, he kicked me in the nose, busting it. "Ah fuck you!" I said as I kicked him in the ribs. I heard sirens in the distance. The dude quickly got up, punched me in the face one more time, and then ran off. As he was running, I picked up a decent sized rock that was as big as a baseball, and chucked it at him, hitting him in the back of his head. He fell, face first and just laid there. Oops. I think I knocked him out. I ran over and nudged him with my foot. He didn't move. His head was bleeding where the rock hit him. Oh well, his fault. Then I realized that the sirens had gotten closer. Welp. Time to go.

A couple hours later, I had went 'home' and put everything away and cleaned up my bloody nose. I think it's broken cuz it's black and blue now. I didn't notice before, but I also have a cut near my eye from that dude. It started at the outside corner of my eyebrow and stops at the bottom of my ear. I cleaned that up too. Nobody knows where I'm at still. I was walkin down the street trying to decide where I was gonna eat. Everything was closed though, so I couldn't buy it, even though I didn't have the money to. Although, I could sneak in and steal it. It ain't like it's my first time breaking into a store to steal something. I mean come on, I'm Dally's sister for God's sake. He taught me more then you think. The only thing is, I haven't stolen anything from New York before. I have Tulsa, but come on, that's Tulsa. It couldn't be that hard here, right? I find this one shop that appeals to me. It reminds me of a fancier version of the Dingo. Oh how I miss that place. I came prepared and brought a sack with me. I found it in the alley. Anyways, I sneak around behind the building and look for any windows. I see a window a foot above me. I get a sturdy trash can and stand on top of it to reach the window. I got my blade and jimmied it open. I swiftly climb in and jump down on the ground. I looked around and noticed that I was actually in a kitchen. A legit kitchen that someone has in their home. Not restaurant. Actually I think this is also a home. Dammit.

I sneak through the kitchen over to the pantry. I grab a couple cans of soup and a few bags of chips. I sneak over to the refrigerator and open it up. I grab some fruit, chocolate, and some beer. I don't mind though. I like beer. I'm not the kind of person that easily gets drunk off of it. I quietly close it up and make my way back over to the window. I gently toss the sack out the window, making sure not to break or smash anything, and get ready to jump out. Then all of a sudden, I hear barking. And when I say barking, I mean in-the-same-room barking. I glance over and see the silhouette of a large dog. "Good boy." I say quietly, trying to calm it down. It just growls more. Then a light turns on. The dog looks back at whoever turned on the light and I take that as my opportunity to get the hell outta there. I jump out the window and land with a roll. I get up and grab the sack full of food and beer. When I do the dog jumps out to. SHIT! I dash down the alley and knock over trash cans and everything else down the whole way, trying to slow the mutt down. I run and run and make it back to where I'm staying. I have a pretty good distance between me and the dog, but I'm not gonna lead him to where I sleep. I quickly throw the sack through the hole I usually climb through and dash down the alley again. The dog is practically on my heels. I run faster than I ever had before. Like I said though, I've even beat Pony racing and he's on the track team.

I've almost completely lost the dog. I turn around to see how far away he is and he's pretty far. I hear a horn beeping that's gettin louder and louder. I snap my attention to the source of the sound. I didn't notice before, but I'm no longer in the alley. I'm on the sidewalk. I look at the vehicle. It looks oddly familiar. It comes to a stop and the people in it start to get out. You'll never believe who it is...