Chapter 9

The week had passed by in a blur. Lina hadn't even noticed how fast. Though sometimes Alex still made her want to shoot him, she couldn't believe how fast her feelings had started to grow for him. She'd already been in L.A. for 3 weeks and it felt like forever.

Lina still texted Tori and skyped her aunt nearly every day. When Lina told her aunt she'd gotten a tattoo she expected her to be pissed. Instead, she smiled as her niece showed her the picture Alex had taken of her tattoo. 

"I love the design sweetie. Did you design it?" She had asked. Lina had shaken her head and told her that she had explained what she wanted to the artist, Jay, and that he'd drawn it for her just the way she wanted. Every day she'd wake up and touch the back of her neck, remembering her parents as she whispered a small prayer of love to whomever would be listening.

Just as Lina was finished dressing after having a shower, Alex walked into her room. The maid must have let him in. He smiled widely at her which made her smile back. He looked like such a careless child sometimes. His smile was just wonderful. When he smiled, you couldn't help but not smile back. Lina walked closer to him and bit her lip as she looked up at him. His arms reached out to pull her close and hug her tight. Lina sighed happily in his embrace. She never thought she'd feel this safe or happy with anyone, but she did. Alex held her close and kissed her forehead.

"Are you okay Angel?" Lina nodded and closed her eyes.

"You?" She felt Alex smile and nod.

"Yeah. Do you wanna go out a little? You've been cooped up in here almost all week." Lina shook her head, making Alex frown.

"Why not Angel? What's wrong?" Lina's eyes suddenly filled with tears. Today had been her parents' anniversary. It was going to be their 20th. Every day that came closer to it made her sadder and sadder. She couldn't believe they weren't there to throw a party for it like they did each year and gave each other something special. The year her mother had died, she was meant to give birth around the same time as their anniversary.

"Hey, hey! Angel, look at me. Look at me." He said, concern in his voice. Lina refused to look up at him but he made her look at him his thumb on her chin. Her lip trembled. It hurt to remember all the pain she had felt when they passed away. The best parents one could ever ask for, and she had lost them. Despite her aunt, uncle and friends, she still felt alone beyond understanding.

"Talk to me Angel. Why are you so sad. Did I do something wrong again?" Lina shook her head quickly. Of course not, she thought. Ever since that night he'd been perfect to her. Lina felt Alex's fingers on her cheek, wiping away a few tears.

"Their w-wedding anniversary...is today." She said through a closed-up throat. It hurt to talk. A sob racked through her body.

"It's..t-their 20th. Today they were meant t-to be here and celebrate their love for each other with their friends ,with their family. With me and the baby sister that never got the chance to see the light of day." Alex's face fell completely and he pulled her closer, holding her tighter. It was almost impossible to breathe.

"You'll be okay baby. You'll be okay. We're you're family now. Me and Marshall, Dave,Joey,Chantry, your uncle Tyler. You have us." Lina shook her head.

"It's not the same. I adore you guys, you're great people, but no one can replace my mom and dad. They kept me on my feet. They taught me to be strong. To not care about the money I could spend like some rich brat. Taught me to remember where I'm from. Everything I am today, is because of my mom and dad. But I'm failing them. I'm not strong anymore. It hurts. Because I have no reason to be strong." More tears fell from Lina's eyes as she started to remember everything again. It depressed her how her wrist started to itch, how the pain became next to unbearable. Alex kissed Lina's forehead.