Chapter 36- Not Supposed to Exist

Splitrain spared only one heartbeat of consideration before leaping at her mother, claws glinting. The space between them gave Skyheart just enough to show her teeth and let a low growl loose before her teeth were sunk into her mother's shoulder. The ginger tabby tried to shake her off as Splitrain's forepaws went in search of her face and ears, but was unsuccessful.

Strangely, Splitrain felt little anger affecting her movements and thoughts. Cold determination replaced her expected emotions, and made each slash and jab so much clearer. No red haze covered important details. She felt... powerful.

Finally tearing away from her hold, her mother created space between them to plan her next attack and to study her torn shoulder, bits of fur hanging off of the would be weeping blood. A moment later Skyheart leapt, aiming for Splitrain's hind legs. Coming from the side, her mother had the chance to land a stinging and partially crippling would. Considering that Splitrain was already nursing half-healed wounds, she was twice as vulnerable.

Ears folding back and an open-mouthed hiss on her face, she tried to stall, hoping that Shadowclan would come to her aid, and also that her father and Rapidflame were still unaware.

"Why could you never love me?"

Mouse dung, Splitrain hissed in her head, why did my voice have to break?

Green eyes filled with hate met hers. "Because you were never supposed to exist! You're my punishment for falling in love with a cat in a different clan!"

Though her mother had not made a move towards her, the words spoken stung her chest.

"So... Strongsoul's not... my father?"

Skyheart snorted. "No, Strongsoul is indeed your father. That is why you are not supposed to be here! I did not love him. I still don't. I became his mate so I wouldn't raise suspicion. But Riverclan still doubted me! They still didn't think I was telling the truth! So I had you, so they would finally trust me."

Splitrain opened her mouth, but no words came out. Her mother wasn't finished.

"And that's why I have to kill you now."

...

Moongaze's POV

That morning, Sharpstar had told him to get Splitrain back.

By any means necessary.

Of course, he didn't actually think he would have to get her by any means necessary, but hey, if he got to tear up mister Riverclan over there giving his Splitrain kit eyes, then he wouldn't complain too much.

Wait, his Splitrain?

Okay, not his Splitrain.

Not yet, anyways, the tiny voice in the back of his head mewed happily. Hopefully.

Yeah, okay. So anyways, here he was, both figuratively and literally pacing the nettles on the ground with a deep growl under his breath.

The other toms on his rescue patrol were too scared to go near him after he accidently swiped at Brokenmask in his irritation and surprise.

"I remember when I was like that with Honeyflame," Lightfeather whispered to Coalfoot with an amused purr.

"Well, if Moongaze is anything like you used to be, then we have yet to have seen the worst of his... protective side," she muttered, only partially kidding.

Moongaze's eyes twitched.

Splitrain had begun to tense up, her mother rearing back, and it took all of his self-control and then some to hold his paws from pulling him over the border and making her mother pay.

"Crystalfall," he whined, begging the leader of the patrol for some sign that he could sink his claws into something other than dirt.

The white she-cat flicked her tail, thinking. "You may go, but no fighting unless in defense. Get Splitrain and come straight... back," she muttered her last word, watching him as he already sped across the rank border and pounded into the shallowest part of the river he could find.

Finally, he was able to see her again. Heat and anger rose up in his chest and threatened to haze his judgment as he studied her poultice-covered wounds, and newer once by the ginger cat staring at him in shock.

That cat was lucky that Crystalfall said no fighting.

"Splitrain," he said slowly, trying to keep the growl out of his voice, "Let's go."

Her mottled ginger and black legs shook as she lifted her body off the ground and leaned heavily on his shoulder. Not that he was complaining about that, but the ginger she-cat was making him nervous. She just... sat there.

Overall, very un-warrior-like.

Nursing a tired and weak Splitrain across the river, shallow or not, was not fun. Or easy.

Definitely not easy.

But, the little voice in his head piped in, she's home.

Where she belonged, with him.