Chapter 38- There She Is!

"Splitrain, can I go with Coldpaw for the journey to the Moonstone? Pretty please?" Pinepaw, half a moon older and already a very promising apprentice, looked up at Splitrain with wide, tired eyes. The brown apprentice had snuck out from the dirtplace tunnel last night to practice his battle moves, explaining — after a surprised Coalfoot had heard him and thought it was an enemy patrol and almost shredded him — that he wanted to be ready in case of a kittypet or rat attack.

"Well, considering that you two are the only warrior apprentices at the moment, I don't see why not; just remember you probably won't be partnered with Coldpaw... Driftswipe's kits will most likely take that title."

The honey-like flow of normal clan life swept Splitrain into a sense of normality. Pinepaw was going to be a wonderful warrior, along with his sisters. Mintbreeze was like a different cat. He wasn't as impatient and little Seedpaw seemed to bring some kindness to his personality. It was honestly refreshing, although a little strange.

The battle for deputy, much to her embarrassment — and Moongaze's pride — was between Splitrain and Darkpelt. Half the clan was on her side, at least, and it disgruntled her. She had been born, spied on, and had parents in Riverclan! Did that not bother any of them? Apparently not.

Darkpelt and his supporters claimed that he was wiser and more experienced, and Splitrain wholly agreed with them. But the shyer dark grey tom said nothing, and neither did she.

The day were becoming warm, the sting of leaf-bare finally behind them. Hints of new-leaf were finally appearing: tiny, fragile buds on the few trees that weren't pines, new undergrowth, and the birds and squirrels reappearing from where ever they go.

This particular day, or to say, evening, was pleasant; the sunset painting the sky shades of purple and orange as Splitrain sat with her side pressed against his, gazing over the clan getting ready for the Gathering.

"You know, the more I think about it, the more amazed I am at our clan. And not just ours; the fact that we went from rogues and kittypets to clans, where we don't kill outside of battle, and we catch our own food and follow the Warrior Code... it is amazing," the silver tom stated after an unmeasured stretch of silence.

To be honest, she had never thought about it that way. Her whole life had been survive, train, and trying not to get killed. Now, she would finally have that chance to experience as regular warrior. Maybe one day she could look at the Clans like that, too.

"You're right. I'm thankful that kits don't have to grow up starving and knowing true evils until they are able to handle it."

Moongaze smiled, turning his head to lick her cheek, "You'd be a wonderful mother."

The whispered statement was barely heard through the loudness right below them from the clan. Heat rose to her chest and face, and she looked up at the sky, embarrassed.

"The Gathering patrol is leaving!" Sharpstar called. Thankful for the chance of escape from the awkwardness, Splitrain leapt down and caught up with the russet she-cat.

Nothing was said as they walked in a comfortable blanket of silence at the head of the patrol.

After a while the leader seemed to become agitated.

"Sharpstar, are you okay? You look stressed."

As if surprised that Splitrain had noticed, the Shadowclan leader smiled and looked forward determined, "Just the usual stress of being leader, don't worry. Thank you for asking though," nodding a thanks, the leader peeked at Splitrain again and smiled, "You know, you've become a sort of daughter to me. I know that I haven't been the most significant cat in your Shadowclan upbringing, but..."

"Sharpstar, do not worry, I see you as a mother figure in my life. I owe you my life for saving me."

Comforted, the green eyed she-cat nodded, and faced forward once more, much more relaxed.

The night was progressively cooler as they traveled to the Fourtrees to greet the other three clans. Without noticing, the clan had swallowed her in the very middle and the toms had created a sort of flank around her sides. Taking a moment, she remembered that Riverclan is probably not the happiest that she spied and got away with it.

Windclan was the only clan there as they cascaded down the slope to greet the moor runners and waited for the other two clans to come so they could share how things the last moon had been. Maybe they would even stay longer afterwards to share tongues because of the pleasant breeze trickling through the oaks.

Greeting the Windclan warriors and apprentices, she shared her new apprentice and received the congratulations before Moongaze took her to the back of the clearing as Thunderclan raced down and signaled that Riverclan was right behind them.

"Just for safety," he stated, before she could even ask him a reason for their retreat. Settling down, they were relatively unseen by the leaders as they leapt up on the big oak tree and discussed for a heartbeat who would go first.

Glowstar wasn't groomed, and even from her distance Splitrain could see stress and lack of sleep weighing down the white she-cat.

Apparently, Sharpstar was going first, "Shadowclan is doing well. We have three new apprentices, Pinepaw, Coldpaw, and Seedpaw, who is training with Mintbreeze. Prey is becoming easier and easier to catch as new-leaf arrives.

Also, our current deputy, Honeyflame, is moving to the elder's den tomorrow. So, I thought that I would announce the new deputy—"

Glowstar let loose a feral growl, snapping her teeth as she lashed her tail.

"Are you going to tell the clans about how you broke the Warrior Code?"

A deep unrest shuffled all four clans as the Riverclan leader continued, spitting.

"How you sent a spy into our territory, scout the territory, and get information about our upcoming attacks? Tell them, Sharpstar!"

Sharpstar kept composed while the she-cat got up in her muzzle, and Splitrain gripped her tail in Moongaze's tightly.

"Any damage that our spy caused you was a risk that you took on your own by inviting the cat into your clan."

By now, at least half the cats were murmuring and peeking around for Splitrain, and yowls were called as she was found.

"There she is! Splitrain! The spy!"