Chapter 5

I wake at 9 to tell Mr and Mrs Johnson that Adam had a headache last night and probably won't wake up until late, but then I head back to bed and sleep until 11. By then my stomach is growling like crazy. I fix myself 4 pieces of toast, scrambled eggs and 2 pop tarts, and I've almost finished at 11:15 when Adam gets up. I put on the kettle for the cup of coffee he's sure to want, when he stumbles into the kitchen, shielding his face from the light. He's at least in pajama bottoms now and a dressing gown. "Coffee?" I ask and he nods in response. He rests his head on the table as I place down his mug. "Taken the headache pills?" I ask quietly in his ear as I set a slice of toast next to him.

"Yeah," he groans. I sit next to him with my cup of tea.

"How much do you remember?" I ask.

"Lets not talk about it." he says, with a slight blush in his cheeks.

"Well don't expect me to save your but next time." I say and strut out of the kitchen. Kayleigh's spending the day at a friends house, so I ring up Ember and we meet at a park. We sit on the swings with a speaker between us, blasting Kerrang's top 50. As we swing, I decide to mention last night. "Last night the populars had a party," I begin.

"They always have an excuse for a party. Last night's was probably 'We survived the first week of school.' "

" Well Adam came back drunk and I helped him to bed."

"Ooo! Do continue!" Ember motions with her hands.

"Well he said he thought I was pretty and tried to kiss me but I dodged because I knew he was drunk and would regret it."

"How do you know he would regret it? Some say the truth comes out when one is drunk." She winks at me.

"I can't think like that, my head will explode!" We talk for about an hour more , before heading to town. We browse in the bookshop for a while and I buy a new book, before heading to the coffee shop. At four I head home and sit on my bed and read my new book with music blasting in my ears. At half past Adam comes in. "Yes?" I say and take one out.

"I'm going out, I'll be back for dinner. But you'll be the only one home."

"Okay." We hold awkward eye contact for a moment before he backs out of my room. I grab my book and make my way downstairs. I'm in the kitchen when I have the over-whelming urge to sing. I wait until the chorus:

"Baby you were my picket fence

I miss missing you now and then

Chlorine kissed summer skin

I miss missing you now and then

Sometimes before it gets better

The darkness gets bigger

The person that you'd take a bullet for is behind the trigger

Oh, we're fad-"

I had been dancing around, using my new-found balance, my eyes closed, singing fully. Until I reached the entrance hall. Adam stands in the open doorway watching me. I stop singing and straighten up, a blush rising to my face. He picks up his keys from the table .

"Forgot my keys." He says. "And I didn't realize you could dance and sing at all, yet alone as well as that." He smiles a small smile and leaves. Oh My God. Soon I wont be able to even be in the same room as him the awkwardness will be too much. Why can't I stop embarrassing myself in front of him? Its not even as though his chiseled jaw, beautiful brown eyes and gorgeous physique are things to be nervous around. Why would I be self conscious and embarrassed around a hot boy? No idea. I try to stop thinking so much. I quickly make myself a sandwich and retreat to my room, which is where I stay until I go to bed.