Chapter 14

I stagger back, flattening against the wall. Vincent shakes his head, the haze clearing. He looks up at me with disbelief. "I didn't know you could do that!" he says.

"Me neither," I breathe out, replaying the scene over and over again in my head. I lock eyes with Vincent as I begin to think out loud.

"Tyler called her his queen." I say

"Which means he must have some idea of her powers." Vincent replies.

"And no idea of mine, otherwise he wouldn't seem so wary."

"If he knew about you, Poppy couldn't demand the same respect and have so much power over him." I nod a t Vincent's statement.

"But queen? Is he working for her?" I ask

"To have a rau on your side, is a great accomplishment. Not many would go against one."

"Side? We're on sides? And who's is right? If Tyler, someone who controls death, is working for her, is she worse than him?" I ask myself and my heart aches at the thought of Poppy turning dark. I pace the alley in distress, running my hands anxiously through my golden hair. Vincent grabs my shoulders, forcing me to look up at him.

"Stay calm. We'll figure this out." he says softly to me, with caring violet eyes. I nod at him and collapse on the love seat. Vincent sits next to me, and rests his cold hand on my knee. My eyes dart to him as electricity shoots through my veins at his touch. We gasp in sync and he pulls his hand away. My heart begins to race and my mind spins. Snippets of memories whizz through my mind, Poppy placing flowers into the sacred lake, Joseph in the snow his warm eyes watching over me, Adam pulling me in for a tender kiss, the hard, dangerous look in Poppy's eyes in Vincent's memory, Vincent's bright purple gaze. I grow dizzy and Vincent catches me as I fall towards, the rough, dark asphalt . Our eyes lock yet again.

I can't handle my emotions anymore and tears fill my eyes. I shoot up quickly and flick my hand towards the couch. It disappears. I glance back at the handsome vampire behind me, confusion clouding his beautiful eyes as I sprint away once again.

That night I sleep restlessly, and when I'm finally enveloped in darkness a dream haunts my thoughts.

I stand in the wintry woods, staring at the dark stain of death, that the girl left behind when Tyler took her life. I shiver in the wedding dress that I appear to be wearing. The Ivory material hugs my body, flaring out in layers in a fishtail at my feet. The blonde hair of my original form is braided down my back, and I look up to the empty, white sky as flowers begin to pour from the heavens. Strong arms hug me from behind, and expecting to see Joseph, I turn to face them.

Shock fills me as I look up into Vincent's purple vampire eyes. He stands in a dark suit, so obviously the groom it scares me. He trace his hand over my cheek, a loving smile covering his lips. "My love, you didn't have to change for me, we could have been together anyway." He murmurs to me.

"Wha..?" I begin but he just grabs my shoulders and spins me around. There, in the middle of the snowy opening, stands a mirror. And staring back at me is a picture of pale beauty. Amidst the pearly whiteness, and golden hair, two lilac vampire eyes stare back at me.

I bring my hands up to my mouth in surprise, a scream escaping. The woman in the mirror does the same, and I watch as the mirror cracks and crumples, falling to the ground.

But behind the mirror stands Adam, a look of pure hatred on his face as he stares at me.