thirty six

songs for the chapter:

all i want - kodaline

another set of wings - a rocket to the moon

I could barely speak as I staggered into the kitchen, leaning on the door frame for support.

"What's wrong?" Klaus asked as soon as he saw me, and soon everyone's eyes were on me, and I couldn't find the words to speak.

"Dean, he-" I choked, and Sam stood up, rushing to my side.

"Dean what? Audrey, Dean what?" he shook me, not as gently as I had hoped he would.

"He's in the hospital," I managed to say, looking up at Sam, who's face had gone white.

"Let's go." he said in a hard voice.

Elijah drove, Janelle sitting shot gun. I sat between Klaus and Sam in the backseat, Klaus rubbing my back to try to keep me calm and Sam holding my hand, squeezing it every few minutes.

The quickest way to the hospital was going around the bend, a road that always made me nervous due to the numerous blind spots it created. Elijah slowed down slightly as we made the turn, gasping loudly.

What I saw destroyed me. The impala had been driven off the road, flipped over so that the wheels were in the air. The glossy black paint was chipped and scratched, the flawless body of the car dented and damaged so severely I wasn't sure how they had gotten Dean out. The front of the other car was smashed, but still upright and on the road. I leaned into Sam as I began to cry, feeling his hot tears land on my shoulder and arm as he cried too. I wanted to look away but I couldn't.

Elijah sped up as soon as he could, not wanting Sam and me to have to see the crash longer than necessary.

"He'll be okay," Elijah said, but even the way he said the words was empty. "He's okay, he'll be okay."

Sam and I didn't wait for Elijah to park, opening the door as soon as he pulled into the parking lot and sprinting into the hospital. We refused to let go of each other's hands, trying to offer the other as much comfort as we could. We practically slammed into the counter, panting as we spoke at the same time.

"Where's Dean Winchester?"

"We're here for Dean Winchester."

The nurse gave us a sympathetic smile, looking at her clipboard. "I don't have any information on him. He's still in surgery."

"You don't know anything?" Sam angrily demanded. "Nothing? Are you serious?"

"I know he wasn't the person to cause the accident," she said slowly, letting us absorb what she was saying. "The other driver was drunk. He was going much faster than the speed limit, and Dean tried to slow down and swerve out of the way, but it was too late."

"How do you know this?" I practically demanded.

"The other driver broke a bone, but he didn't have nearly as much damage as Mr. Winchester. He'll be arrested for driving under the influence, but not until he's released from here. He explained it to us."

"Where is he? I want to see him." the words were out of my mouth before I could comprehend what I was saying. The nurse looked back and forth between Sam and I, her expression hesitant. After a few moments of contemplation, she sighed.

"I can't give you the room number, it's against hospital policy."

"That's bullshit."