twenty

songs for the chapter

save me a spark - sleeping with sirens

if i'm james dean, you're audrey hepburn (acoustic) - sleeping with sirens

let her go - passenger

the moment i knew - taylor swift

Four days later, around nine am, I heard quiet giggles fill the room I was sleeping in. Assuming it was Dean, I said nothing, only hoping he would stop soon, so I could get back to sleep.

"Three, two one..."

Five voices began to sing. "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..."

I smiled, sitting up in the bed and sleepily looking at Dean, Elijah, Janelle, Klaus, and Sam. When they finished singing, Janelle offered me a delicious looking cupcake, a single lit candle sticking out of the top. I took the plate from her, blowing out the candle to amuse her.

"Did you make a wish?"

"Yeah, I wished you wouldn't make such a big deal out of my birthday."

"Jokes on you, if you say what your wish was it won't come true."

I laughed, setting the cupcake on the nightstand and standing up to hug my best friend. "Thank you."

"Of course. Oh, and don't worry, we didn't do anything huge. We told your mom Dean wanted to take you out today, but we're having dinner at six. So your parents will be here for dinner tonight. Think you can handle that?"

I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Yes. Thank you for not going overboard."

She winked in reply.

I followed them downstairs, Sam chatting happily as we entered the kitchen.

"You're talkative today," I commented when he paused to take a breath. He shut his mouth instantly, like him talking was a bad thing.

"It's good, Sam, it's nice. I like hearing your voice."

He smiled shyly, walking around the island and bringing me a glass of orange juice. "I'm going to be honest, I didn't know it was your birthday until last night, so I didn't get the chance to buy you anything-"

"Good. You didn't have to buy me anything, you being here to spend the day with me is enough."

Sam shushed me. "Don't interrupt me!" he laughed. "Anyway, I thought the least I could do was make you breakfast. So it's in the dining room."

He grabbed my hand and pulled me into the dining room. Elijah and Janelle were already sitting down, quietly talking to each other. Klaus entered the room a few seconds after Sam and I did, his car key's in his hand.

"Sorry, love, but I've got to run. I have a few errands I have to make."

"Oh, how dare you," I teased him, pretending to pout. "On my birthday!"

He laughed, rolling his eyes slightly. "I'll be back for dinner. Happy birthday." he gave me a quick hug, leaving the room after and calling out another goodbye over his shoulder.

Dean came into the room after we had all sat down. He sat next to me, leaning over to kiss my cheek.

"Happy birthday, beautiful."

I smiled, turning to look at him. "Thank you."

"Okay, before this stuff gets cold," Sam said. We turned our attention to him as he raised his cup of orange juice. "To Audrey."