23 The handshake

"I have books and clothes for your poor parishioners, Father," Julie said, when Father Romy opened the door of the rectory for her.

She noticed that he had a slight limp as he led her into the reception area of the rectory. She had not noticed that when he was in her school.

"That's very thoughtful of you," Father Romy said.

"Where shall I put them?" Julie asked.

"Just put them somewhere in the garage," said Father Romy. "The parish boys can take care of them."

Julie stepped back to the front door and waved to the driver. She pointed to the area in front of the garage. The driver nodded, then proceeded to unload the boxes.

Julie returned to the reception area.

"How are you, Father?" she asked Father Romy, who was now sitting awkwardly on a chair.

"I'm good," said Father Romy. "I really appreciate your thinking of my parish."

"I thought that I should make amends for my interrupting your speech at my school, Father," Julie said.

Father Romy winced at the memory. Yes, this was the woman who had both attracted and annoyed him.

"The children now say their prayers before meals a little bit more fervently, Father," said Julie.

Father Romy smiled. He nodded. "That's good."

Julie had not yet sat down. Father Romy motioned for her to sit down. She did. He felt good that she had followed his will, rather than he following hers.

"I noticed you were reading the Bible, Father," said Julie, pointing to the Bible that was open on the coffee table.

"It's my bread and butter," said Father Romy, not without some sarcasm.

Julie ignored the tone. "I also read the Bible a bit," she said, "when I have the time."

Father Romy nodded. Well, at least, he thought, she might learn something from the word of God instead of being so haughty.

"Well, Father," Julie said, standing up. "I know you're busy. I won't keep you any longer. I know that my husband's books and clothes are in good hands."

"Give my thanks to your husband," said Father Romy.

Julie said, a little bit too lightly, "Oh, Father, he's dead."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Father Romy, genuinely embarrassed by his gaffe.

"It's okay, Father," Julie said. "When God closes a door, he opens a window. Your parishioners now have a small library and some really nice clothes."

"God has her ways," Father Romy said.

Julie was puzzled by the use of a female personal pronoun, but she thought that, perhaps, the good priest was just not so good in grammar.

"Well, Father," Julie said, "I'll see you around."

She offered her hand. Father Romy stood up and took the hand. It was such a good feeling, touching this woman, but the cilice bit into his thigh. He shivered.

"Are you all right, Father?" Julie asked.

"Yes, yes," said Father Romy. "I'm okay. And thank you on behalf of my parishioners."

"And thank you for coming to my school," said Julie.

Julie wondered why their handshake was taking so long.