Of All Things

"Good morning, Jules." Anna greets her maid, looking up from her newspaper.

"Good morning, Ms. Bockings. What are you doing here?" Julianna asks, surprised.

"What do you mean? I'm here every morning," Anna replies simply.

"You normally sleep in, miss." Jules is surprised to see Anna sitting on the front porch, in the rocking chairs at 7:45 in the morning.

"Maybe you're right. I went to bed earlier than usual last night."

"Oh. Well then, good morning." Jules smiles and continues inside. "Also, that newspaper is dated February 12th, 1876. So, you are reading last weeks paper." Anna looks at the back and scoffs.

"I'm going to be leaving for a picnic taking place at the Hilton's." Anna gets up from her seat and follows Jules inside.

"Hilton's?"

"Oh, just some rich family who own half of the city. They invited my family and I to their little picnic. There's supposed to be many more people, which is not so very exciting on my part of things. I will have to deal with it, though," she says nonchalantly.

"Sounds lovely," Jules replies cheerfully.

"Really?" she asks confused.

"Where are all of the crumpets?" Jules asks herself, as she looks around. Anna gets up and leaves before she is asked. She goes upstairs into her bedroom, and looks for a nice outfit to wear to the picnic. She looks through a couple of dresses, until she finally lands on a solid creamy blue dress, with half sleeves, and a simple thin ribbon around the waist. She grabs a dark blue crochet shawl, puts her hair up in a simple bun, and goes downstairs. "You look nice and simple. I like it, Ms. Bockings." Jules says when Anna walks into the main house.

"Thank you, Jules. I shall be leaving now. I will not be back until after dinner time. I am dining with my family tonight."

"That is no problem at all. Good day, Ms. Bockings." Jules smiles.

"Good day." Anna wraps her shawl around her shoulders, and leaves.

~~~

When Anna finally reaches her destination, she exits the carriage and looks around. There are too many people for her taste, but continues anyway. She spots her mother speaking with the Hilton's youngest son. Though he may be absolutely gorgeous, with his perfect light brown hair, bright green eyes, and soft but striking features, Anna does not have much interest in him. She can just see his haughty pride radiating off the surface of his very expensive clothing. Her mother sees her and smiles, gesturing her over. Anna rolls her eyes, but reluctantly walks over.

"Anna! Do you know Mr. Edward James Hilton?" her mother asks with a bright smile. Anna knows the exact meaning of that smile.

"I do not believe I do," she replies respectfully, "I am Anna. Anna Bockings, the writer." She reaches her hand out to shake Edward's, but instead has him take her hand and place a gentle kiss on it. Anna looks down at her hand, feeling absolutely repulsed, but looks back up and smiles.

"Pleased to meet you, Ms. Bockings." The young dandy smirks at her, trying to be seductive.

"Hm, yes." Anna replies. Her mother nudges her in the side. "Lovely to meet you as well," she pushes out.

"I'll leave you two to talk." Anna looks at her mother pleadingly, but she still leaves.

"A writer? How interesting. What do you write?" Edward asks, stepping closer to her. She steps an inch away.

"Plays, books, and poetry." He steps close to her again, and she bumps into a snack table.

"Interesting. My family owns many buildings and companies in the city," he says egotistically. Anna looks back and sees a bottle of champagne.