Mind Your Own Business

Anna looks up at the sky and sees that it's getting dark. The sun has been setting for almost 10 minutes now, and she can spot out a couple of stars peeking through the dully lit atmosphere. Looking back at the game, she sees that it is over now, and the red team had won.

"Oh bother!" she exclaims.

"My sentiments exactly. The blue were doing so well, too. Of course, though, my dear friend Bartholomew was the one getting most of their points." Anna chuckles, and stands up from her seat.

"It's getting late, I should go find my mother and find out when my family is planning to have dinner." she says, looking around. "Ah, there she is." She waves at her mother, who notices and says her goodbyes to her friends.

"It was a lovely night with you, Anna. I hope to see you again."

"As do I," she replies truthfully and touches his arm, "Good night, Daniel."

"Good night." Daniel bows his head gracefully. She nods her head in reply and walks away.

"Mother," she greets.

"Anna, my darling! How was your conversation with Mr. Hilton?" she embraces her daughter.

"Not good. He was horrid, mother!"

"Oh, darling, don't say that. He couldn't have been that bad. He is rich, very much envied, but seems to fancy you more than most of the ladies."

"I do not care. He is full of himself, and does not seem to care about the fact that I have a career that I care about, and want to continue with," she exclaims in a harsh whisper.

"You are so picky," her mother snorts. "Who was the other gentleman you were with?" she asks interested.

"Mr. Daniel Dunnagan. He is an acquaintance of mine."

"You have an aquaintance? A male acquaintance?" her mother asks in surprise.

"Yes. I've known him for some time now. He goes to my plays, and always greets me afterward. We have just been getting to know each other more closely right now. It is nothing, mother."

"Is he rich?" Anna rolls her eyes at her mother's question.

"Sort of," she replies simply.

"What do you mean 'sort of?'"

"He owns a business. His family owns it, but it's being passed down to him since he's their only son," she says, slightly prideful.

"What kind of business?"

"You know, the company called Dunnagan's."

"Oh! They make home appliances and... other things. Yes, I know that company. So, that's his family's company? I guess that's kind of impressive. I still prefer Mr. Edward Hilton," her mother replies unconvinced.

"I am not looking for a suitor, mother. Now, when is dinner?" Anna changes the subject.

"We are going to my house right now. Come along." They walk to her mother's carriage and get inside. They arrive several minutes later, and get out. Everyone is already inside, settling down at the table.

"Anna! I'm so glad to see you tonight." Anna's aunt Karline embraces her tightly. Surprised, Anna puts her arms around her respectfully.

"As am I." They finally all sit at the table, waiting to be served. The servants enter the room with platters, and set them down in front of everybody. "Thank you." Anna smiles.

"So Anna, how is your career going?" Her mother's friend Willis asks. Anna looks up and realizes everybody's eyes are on her. Some concerned, some snide, others thoughtful.

"Very well, thank you." she replies simply.

"Good pay? Is your writing acceptable?" Willis continues asking.

"Yes, I think so. I have some good competition, but I think I have the ability to be great."

"Well that's nice."

"Anna is working on another piece at the moment. I have a good feeling about it," her mother puts a hand on her shoulder and gives a small smile.

"Isn't it, I don't know, scandalous to be a woman and have a job?" Willis asks.

"I wouldn't call it scandalous. I am simply following a passion, Willis." Anna replies offended at her wording.

"Yes, but it's not really a good image for a women. There are rumors going arou-"

"I do not care about rumors. They are empty gossip that I have no part in." Anna fights.

"Anna, she's only looking out for you. There is no reason to raise your voice, especially at the dinner table in front of everyone." Anna's mother scolds.

"No, it is none of my business. I should not have said anything, Anna." Willis states apologetically. They all sit in silence eating, until Katherine speaks up.

"I saw Anna with a young man today. Who is he?" Katherine asks curiously.

"He is nobody but an acquaintance," Anna replies simply.

"Is that so? You seemed to be quite smiley with him." Katherine giggles in delight.

"I have no idea what you are talking about, Katherine. He is only someone I happen to know and keep running into."

"I don't think it's coincidence, darling," her mother gives her a big smile.

"Who is he?" Katherine insists.

"His name is Daniel Dunnagan, and I have no interest in him."

"Is he rich?" Aunt Karline asks.

"He owns the Dunnagan company. " Anna's mother chimes. Earning a scowl from her daughter.

"I am finished with this conversation."

"Oh Anna, don't be like that. We are just curious." Katherine says trying to hold back a smile.

"We shouldn't continue to bash about the subject. We all know how sensitive our dear Anna can be." A couple of small giggles cross the room. Anna just rolls her eyes and continues to eat. The rest of the night Anna didn't say anything. They all had their own boring conversations, but she wanted no part in their gossip. Many wonder how she turned out the way she did, but it's quite simple. You see, Anna always had a connection with her father. He believed that women were just as capable as men. She looked up to him, and always listened to him when he told her to believe in herself. Her mother did not appreciate Anna's father, Tom, teaching her to be her own person and make a difference. She never forgot, and she never let him down.

When the dinner was over everyone said their goodbyes, and left to their homes. Anna said her farewells as well and walked outside. "Anna, I had Robert bring your carriage here. He's here. See?" Her mother points at the carriage across the street. Robert looks over and waves. Anna smiles at him and walks over. "There is a brunch tomorrow, and I expect you will be there." Anna cringes at her mother's words, but nods reluctantly.

"Thank you, mother. Good night." Robert hops down and opens the door for her. She gets inside and sits. She sighs and lays her head back in relief.

"You alright miss?" he asks.

"Oh yes, I'm fine Robert. Thanks you." He closes the door and gets back in his seat. Throughout the ride Anna sat back and thought about Mr. Dunnagan, which she found strange. She wondered why she would think of someone who is not to be of any significance to her. The answer? She did not know. After a while she finally arrives home, and gets out. "Good night."

"Good night, Ms. Bockings." She walks up the pathway and enters her home. Reaching over to the table by the door, she lights an oil lamp and sighs as she looks at her dwelling, just as she does every late night when she comes home. There's a certain quieting peace to the large, hollow, shadowed space. She continues on her routine and gets ready for bed. As she lays in her bed, thoughts of Daniel sneak their way in.

"Oh God. This can't be happening. Anna, this is no good. You must quit this hosh posh. It is pathetic," she scolds herself. Sleep. Pleading to herself, she shuts her eyes and keeps them shut for an excruciating amount of time until she begins to feel sleepy. Then, she finally drifts off.