Chapter 4.

Chapter 4.

I woke up at half past 9 on the 3rd November.
My birthday.

I got up, showered, made some breakfast and got dressed. Today i was going to visit Katia in prison.

Still have no clue what I'd say to her...
I got in my car and drove to see her.

I was sitting at one of those little tables waiting for the guards to let her out.

As she walked towards me, she didn't look upset, or angry. She looked fine.

I stood up to give her a hug but she just shrugged me off and sat down. Her hands in her lap. She looked down at her hands.

'I thought you were dead.' Was the first thing that was said between us.

'I know...I'm sorry Katia. I should have got in touch with you sooner.'

'Why would you let me take the blame for it all?' she asked.

'If there was any proof that I did it too, I would turn myself in...For you. But there's no proof. I cant do it. I'm sorry Katia.'

'I cant believe you Avery. You lied to me before. You said you loved me.'

'And I did. I always did. I was just scared of the things we could do together. Scared of what we are capable of. I guess I still love you. I just didn't realize it till I heard your voice on the phone the other day.' I told her.

'How did you get away?'

'When you went outside to turn yourself in, I ran out the back of the hut. The police were only surrounding the front of it, so I ran through the woods till I ended up at Marla's.' I explained.

'And...'

'Shot her and Kamile...' I said quietly. 'I need to ask you something, and I need the truth from you. It's important.'

'Ok...'

'That photo...What did you do with it?'

'Threw it in the fire. Phoebe tried to but she missed. So I threw it in and made sure it burned. Why?'

'Was the original laminated?' I asked.

'Yeah...Avery. Why?'

'Because I found a photocopy of that photo in my bag yesterday...' I said.

'Avery. I swear to you, this is nothing to do with me.' Said Katia. 'I definitely burnt it.'

'Right.' I said standing up.

Katia looked worried. 'Are you going?'

'Yeah. i got stuff I need to do.' I said beginning to walk off. I looked back at her and smiled. Then I walked back to her and kissed her.

She kissed me back. 'I love you.' She said.

'I'll wait for you Katia. I promise.' I lied.

***********************************************************

I got into my car and slammed the door.  

So if was nothing to do with Katia, who was it?

How many copies were there? 

Who had them? 

How many people knew?

Then I remembered something. Those knocks I thought I heard on my front door the other day. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Maybe...Whoever it was...Snuck in, put the photo in my bag then left. But kept knocking to try and spook me...That must be it.

But who is it? They?