Chapter 18

Natures Soul

Chapter 18

My eyes nearly bulged out of my head.

Brandi had no reaction. She rushed over to me though. “Aneh!” She crushed me in the tightest hug I had ever received.

I made a choking sound and looked frantically at my parents.

Then Brandi released me. “It’s so nice to meet you!” She breathed.

“It’s nice to meet you too.” I replied cordially. 

She almost seemed to be saddened by my not-so eager reply.

“That’s nice.” She said sadly. I realized I hurt her feelings, but couldn’t actually figure out how to make her feel better.

My father smiled and invited me to play with my siblings and “bond” for a while.

I grinned. “Sure.” 

Well, they couldn’t get rid of us fast enough. We hooligans (who I found I got along with agreeably) had loads of fun, running through royal kitchens and raising general havoc across the castle.

“That....was....pure awesomeness....” I panted to Henry.

“Yeah...it....was....” He breathed. We smiled at each other.

The other sister, whose name I learned later was Faye, jumped up.

“Lets scare them!” She said exuberantly.

We had run much faster (I was holding a back a little bit) than the rest of the other kids. 

“Wellll.....” I said hesitantly.

“Yes!” Henry replied.

“How....?” I trailed off.

Faye pulled my arm and we began ascending up the furniture piled up in the corner. At first, I wondered why furniture was piled up in a corner. Then I realized it was put there on purpose. They had done it.

It was amazing to say the least. It towered forty feet up above my head, and that was just an estimate. Sofas, wooden chairs, pillows, tables, bean bag chairs, and a whole menagerie of things I couldn’t imagine would ever work as climbable substances.

Unfortunately, my lack of athletic ability left me far behind my two monkey siblings. I slowly climbed up, gripping a loose table leg. It terrified me hat I was going straight up a bumpy and unreliable wall with no ropes. 

About three seconds later, my new dress ripped where my knee went.

“Crap!” I whispered. 

Henry and Faye were way higher than me. If they looked down at me while I was climbing, I didn’t see it. I was afraid I would fall onto the stony floor below and become a n Aneh pancake.

I was up to the top in a jiffy for how long I thought it would take. 

A large stone platform emerged from the wall. A wooden fence lined most of the perimeter of the platform. A few vases here and there, a little water spout, but not much up there.

“Well?” Faye and Henry scowled at me with their arms crossed across their chests.

“I don’t climb alot....” I admitted sheepishly. I winced away before I could see their reaction.

“Well, if you live here, you gotta be on top. Fit. Spry.” Faye nodded firmly.

“Well the truth is....” I began. 

“There they are!” Faye whispered loudly. She sprinted over to the fence and pointed. How she did it, I had no idea. I still have no idea. Henry was there in a second.