Chapter 15

"Oh really? And what makes you think that's of any importance to me?" I could practically hear the smirk from The Joker's voice. "The word around Gotham is that he's dead."

I rolled my eyes and glanced towards Wayne who was looking at me in such a threatening way that I knew he wasn't kidding. Once bad move and it was clear he'd hurt me in retaliation. As much as I hated to admit it, I needed him as an ally, well Wayne had fought The Joker before after all. "And what if I said he wasn't?" I countered.

"Thrill me.." For a guy who was supposed to be all smiles he was freakishly creepy. And a maniac did I mention that?

Everything was telling me not to reveal Wayne's secret to his arch enemy. But things were different now, I had to do anything to get Pepper back.

"Well.." I hesitated, glancing at Wayne who was still in his fierce stance, well trying to seem fierce. And I do mean trying, but not very well.

Okay getting off topic here.

"Stark don't you dare.." Wayne warned. Seriously? He was trying to boss me around around? Who the hell did this guy think he was?

"Give me one good reason why I should tell you anything?" I smirked, trying to outsmart The Joker.

Again with that laugh of his. I actually didn't mind clowns until that idiot wearing make up came along. "Need I remind you that I have your wife?"

"Yeah and a group of doctors who you've no doubt bribed," I rolled my eyes, knowing there was no way that he could be keeping Pepper alive without the help of a medical professional. But then again he could have been bluffing. Was Pep still alive...?

I didn't know what to believe.

That's what I hate about The Joker, he has a way of getting into my head...

Tony this is not the time to panic!

"You're treading a thin line Stark, I could kill her at any moment if you're not careful," for a guy who dresses up as an  clown he really did have one hell of a dark side.

"Then why don't you..?" I challenged, my voice a little hesitant. And of course he picked up on that.

"What makes you think I haven't...? " No. He couldn't have. He wouldn't be messing with me like this if he had killed my wife. This was The Joker we were talking about, things weren't exactly going to be that simple. "Do you want to know why I use a knife? In their last moments people show you who they really are... so you could say, I knew your wife better than you ever did.. and oh.. she called for you... boy did she scream.."

"NO!" I yelled as I opened my eyes, suddenly jolting up from where I had fallen asleep on the couch. Beads of sweat were streaming down my face as I felt my heart racing uncontrollably. "You're okay... it was just a dream.." I panted heavily, trying to reassure and calm myself down. Which would have been a lot easier to do if I had Pep by my side. She always knew me better than I knew myself. But it was only a nightmare... though it couldn't have felt more real.

I have to save her..

Pepper is not going to die at the hands of that mad man.

She was still alive, that much I knew for sure. I couldn't afford to think any other way.

"J keep the house on maximum security please buddy," I instructed my ever faithful AI as I got out of bed, freshening myself up put on some new clothes. He was my best friend, I wouldn't know what I would do without him.