Chapter 2

Tony, now in his armour, flew in the direction towards The Joker. But there was something strange, the phychotic clown didn't seem to panic or begin running away. In fact, Tony noticed the insane criminal stood on the spot, squirming anxiously.

On closer inspection Tony realised the man he was staring at was not the real Joker after all. This man was tied up at the limbs, joker-style makeup smeared roughly in his face, but there were no scars, instead the man was sobbing profusely, begging to be freed.

"Who did this to you?" Tony commented, knowing full well what the answer would be and noticing a pair of red dots aimed on the scared baits forehead. So that's why he won't run, Tony thought, there's gun being held to his head.

"Please Mr Stark," The bait pleaded, "if you are the man they say you are please take me away from this!"

"Don't worry," Tony reassured, "I'm gonna get you of this."

He wrapped a solid, robotic grip around the distraught man's hand, and propelled up to the sky, out of harms way.

As he did so a range of bullets were shot from all direction and Tony, having mastered his flying technique a long time ago, he narrowly dodged each bullet that came his way.

"You're gonna have to think of something better than a pack of cheap guns."

------------

After making sure, John Banks, the bait he rescued earlier was in safe hands, Tony made his way to the hospital. Pepper was in ICU. She had suffered a lot of damage during the attack and now her body was too weak that it brought her into a coma.

Tony walked inside, he gasped, seeing Pepper, usually so strong, now nearly lifeless, connected to a life support machine and a whole load of other medical machinery was too much for Tony. Taking a deep breath and a hint of a tear in his eyes, Tony walked up to Pepper's bedside which had the a notice 'Virginia Potts-Stark' and the clinical diagnostics placed on top of it.

"I brought you some strawberries, but then I remembered you were allergic." Tony coughed awkwardly, he didn't know what to say. What made it worse was knowing Pepper couldn't reply and the doubt whether she could hear him at all.

"This man is dangerous," Tony began, sliding the chair closer, leaning in, "I met him down in Gotham. Their vigilante hero, Batman? He disappeared without a trace, some say he's dead." Tony paused, he had to get to the point, "But that's not important. This Joker is crazy and a maniac. He blew up Gotham County Jail and I thought he killed himself in the process cos there was no other sign of him. Obviously not." Tony looked over to the calmly bleeping heart monitor, wishfully, he sighed and closed his eyes for a matter of seconds, "He lives in the shadows, and despite what his weird dress sense and make up says about him, The Joker's smart. But so am I, a lot more intelligent. But I promise you I will stop him. Now you just make sure you getter better okay Miss Potts?"

"Mr Stark?" A nurse entered through the double doors, prompting Tony to turn, he gave his usual confident, boyish smile, "Mr Stark, visiting times are over, your wife is in safe hands, we'll take care of her."

Tony nodded, showing his appreciation and silently yet quickly left the room. Getting into his silver Audi convertible and driving away to his newly re-built house in Malibu Point, his mind was brewing, trying to figure The Joker out and what he would need to do to stop him. Tony was ready to do whatever it took, no matter what.

And The Joker knew that far too well...