Chapter Eight

When the idea of smashing in a teenage boys brain came into Jack's mind, he did not think it was a viable solution to the problem. But after many thoughts in a short amount of time, he saw no other way. He could not keep this...thing with people anymore.

"What the hell, Jack!"

"What was I supposed to do, give him a cookie and tell him to go sit down?"

"You should not have killed him!"

"I saw no other way around it, mate!"

Just then, all of the kids burst into the room to find out what the commotion was all about, but no one spoke, no one even moved. But eventually, the one that spoke up was Griff.

"It had to be done."

"No it did not!" Ed said.

"I don't like this, either," Zoey said, "But this is what had to happen."

Ed succumbed to the fact that it had to be done. Even though what happened was a tragedy, they all had to go back to sleep, despite the fact that one of their friends had just opened the door to death.

The next morning could not be more of a bummer. Everyone was sad and depressed to still see the remains of what used to be Ronald in the back room. Since that was where Ed slept with Dancer, who stood by when Jack had to do the unthinkable. His new roommates were Ember and Zoey. This was awkward since Ed was very attracted to Zoey, he was just too afraid to admit it, plus Ember and Ed did not talk, since Ember did not like Ed. She thought he did not want to be controlled by anyone else, he wanted to be on top. But that couldn't happen now because Zoey and Jack both needed to be up there with him on the throne of power.

In the morning, once everyone was up, the last one to be Jack, everyone needed more food than they had. Because such a big group needed such a large amount of nutrients they needed to go and get supplies. No one was up to the idea since last time they went on a supply run, they went toe to toe with another group of kids, who wasn't very happy about seeing them.

But because of their predicament, they had to go. Everyone was gearing up to go, but they had to get even more from the terror they felt of being attacked again. After all, they were going back down that same dyre street.

Now, where were those kids? The ones that killed my group and injured my foot? Especially those two. The buff and the tall ones. Those kids have to die. I should have kicked their asses. But they got lucky. That one damn knife. That wound is going to get me killed! As long as they die. They have to die. I saw where they went. Down Corner Street. But after that they could be anywhere. I don't know how I am going to kill them. I have no food, no weapons, and I might as well be a cripple. But when they die... When they die, this life won't matter anymore.

They were off. It took 15 minutes for all of them to get the guts to go.

"Why can we not go an entire day without risking our lives?" Amber questioned.

"BECAUSE THIS IS THE APOCALYPSE!" Griff joked, "No but seriously, this is."

All of them knew he was joking because of how he said it, but no one disagreed silently.

They were all nervous as hell, but they knew they had to do it. Even Dancer went out with them, she was trotting next to Ed. The road they lived on was pretty quiet because they had basically killed all of the creatures.

"We need a name," Griff said

"What are you talking about?" Jack questioned

"I mean we need to name these damned creatures!"

Nobody spoke because they all thought it was crazy to do something for a thing that wants to kill us.

"Fine, what 'The Damned', you already said it." Ember said it.

"That... Is the best name possible for these freaks." Ed yelled back to them, he and Jack were further up than the rest with Dancer to scout out ahead of them.

They were slowed down for a little. Keiran could not carry Jason much longer. They had to feed the smaller ones more than the older ones so he was getting heavier.

"Does this mean we have to stop again? We have to go you bastard!" Adam yelled at Keiran.

"Calm down, mate, we can get a strap and be on our way." Jack responded.

"How can I calm down when this bitch keeps stopping us!"

"Adam, shut your mouth. Now."

"Back off, I can't help that I have this damn kid with me!"

"Well maybe you should just shut up complaining and walk to the damn food store!"

"ADAM!" Jack yelled.

"WHAT, JACK? WHAT DO YOU WANT NOW?"

"Hey calm down back there!" Ed yelled from somewhere up ahead.

"ADAM! STOP! NOW!"

"MAYBE I WOULD IF WE HAD SOME DAMN FOOD RIGHT ABOUT NOW!"

"WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?" Jack yelled back.

"WHAT IS MY PROBLEM? WHAT IS MY PROBLEM? I HAVE A PROBLEM?"

Adam threw a ferocious punch. Since Jack had a history of dealing with bullies, he knew how to handle a situation such as this. Without hesitating after the dodge, Jack threw an even harder punch right into Adams gut. Almost on impact, Adam doubled over and threw up.

"WAS THAT WHAT YOU WANTED ADAM? HUH?"

Ed heard the commotion and ran back to break up the quarrel.

"HEY! WHAT THE HELL!"

"Adam tried to fight a brick wall," Griff said.

"So he tried to fight the champ, eh?" Ed responded. "Didn't go too well I guess."

Ed looked over at Jack, held up one finger and mouthed the words One more. Jack got the message and lifted Adams head up. And punched him right in the face, breaking his nose.

"We got two broken noses in this group now," Ember stated.

"You want one, too?" Adam said to Ember.*

Ed ran over to Adam, and kicked him right in the gut, causing him to fall face first into the ground with a grunt.

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Ed yelled.

After that last hit, everyone started trotting back to the store, while Jack was carrying a baby.

Was that a yell? I think it was. It was human also. Back on Corner Street. Thats where they were. Reuben peered through the bush. Its them. They are back. Reuben tried to stay around Corner Street to see if he would find them. They are breaking. This wasn't just an opinion. It was an observation. They were beating one. This is good. My moment has come.