Chapter Five

As Jack stormed out the door, he felt a tear roll down his eye. He thought about apologizing, but pushed it aside. He would apologize later. Jack wasn't lying though. He wanted something more tactical to use in combat, and to be honest, a sledge hammer was not the best weapon to use for tactical combat.

He walked out of the apartment building with 4 ways to go. Go straight to get to the mall, left for lots of restaurants and gas stations, right for office buildings and open fields, and back behind the apartments for a large shopping center. Jack decided to go behind the apartment for the large shopping center. In there, there was a department store, a home goods store, a sporting goods store, and library. The library was ruled out for reasons that should obvious. Then he ruled out the sporting goods store because that was mostly ranged things and Jack didn't have the best aim.

That left the department store and the home goods store. The home goods store should have tools that could be used as weapons if used with enough force, and Jack knew, he had enough force. Jack's past included gyms, football, lacrosse, and track. He was the stereotypical athlete. So as he headed for the store one of those things popped from around a bush and ran at Jack. Calmer than he should be, Jack ran at the demon with his sledgehammer raised high, and came down with so much force that the creature's head caved thoroughly in. Whatever they used as blood splattered all over Jack, but it wasn't as thick.

He loved the feel of crushing those things. They pissed him off, they almost killed his best friend. He wanted to get revenge.

He heard a scream off in the distance. He sprinted to where it came from, and he saw a boy, about his age, surrounded by the creatures. He had a belt across his chest holding an assortment of knives.

"Little help here, mate?" The boy screamed

"I'm comin', calm down." Jack yelled back

Jack sprinted at the fiends and crushed two heads with one blow. The boy shoved a knife into the eye of another.

Out of nowhere, an arrow whizzed passed Jack and thumped into a fiend.

Jack turned around and saw Ed standing there with his bow out. Jack screamed "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?"

"I'm saving your butts, that's what I'm doing!"

"You're injured you stupid bastard."

I'm fine its.." Jack cut him off

"No, you are not fine, you're bleeding, and to make matters worse, you left Keiran and Jason by themselves!"

Now, Jack had the right to be mad. He was about to go berzerk. Jacks fuse was shortening, and Ed was just putting a freaking flamethrower up to it.

"What...what the hell were you thinking? You can hardly move your shoulder, and Jason and Kieran can't fend for themselves without weapons!"

"Jack, I fe..."

"No, no, get back to the damn apartments!" Jack yelled.

Ed did what he was told, as he could see the rage in Jack's eyes. As Ed started to go back to the apartments, Jack turned to the boy and asked him what he was doing.

"I was looking for other people, and, guess what? I found one!"

The boy put on a huge stupid smile that was not meant for a situation like this.

"What's your name?"

"Adam." The boy replied.

Jack told him to come along and help to earn his respect. Adam desperately wanted a place to stay and people to be around, so he agreed.