Chapter 6

"Rise and shine baby girl." Mario shook her awake one morning. Too early for her taste.

"Whaaattt?" She whined.

"Let's go skating like old times and then maybe go get some food."

"Fine," she yawned, "I'm only coming with because you mentioned food."

Rowan got up and threw on her new Penguins hoodie, jeans and met her dad in the family room before they headed out to Consol.

***

"You suck old man, your shot's losing some." Rowan chirped after he took a shot and missed the net.

"You be quiet." He gave her a look, "I taught you everything you know."

She sprinted down to the other end with a puck and took a slapshot hitting it bar down.

"Not everything."

The two continued to skate around, shoot the puck and, of course, chirp at each other for the next hour or so.

"Hey, Sidney told me about what happened your first practice here." He looked at her, "he also told me that your not getting along to well with some of the guys. Especially Sid."

"It's not my fault that egotistical asshole thinks he's the best in the world because that's what everybody tells him." She headed off the ice, "besides I'm not the only one who's being an ass. You should hear what I hear some of the guys call me in the locker room."

"Still.. Rowan, you should try to make an effort to get along with these guys."

"Why? They either hate me and won't except my peace offering if I tried, or they're trying to get in it my pants and if I'm nice they'll just take it the wrong way."

"At least promise me you'll try. Isn't there a team party coming up? You should go and be nice to everyone, including Sidney, and see what comes out of it." He said taking his skates off and tossing them into this bag.

"Fine. I'll try." She responded in a mocking ton.

"I still laugh at how mad you were when Sidney moved in with us his first year."

She laughed too, remembering that day so many years before.

Rowan has just gotten home from school one day when she walked in and saw her dad and some teenage kid sitting on her couch.

"Seriously." She dropped her bag on the table, "the kid with the hair is staying here!"

"Yes, Rowan he is."

She groaned audibly. Meanwhile Mario nudged Sid, telling him to introduce himself.

"I'm Sidney." He said sticking out a hand.

"I know." She shook his hand, "I was at the draft."

"You know, the pictures of you around the house don't do justice. You're very pretty."

Rowan resisted rolling her eyes at his weak attempt at flirting, "I'll crush you like a bug, dude. Lay off."

"You hated him." Mario laughed while they made their way to their favorite diner.

"I hated you for letting him stay with us."

"I can't believe you called him the kid with the hair." He chuckled.

"Did you see it though? Could he have used more gel?!"

***

Rowan and Mario came home after lunch and Rowan practically screamed when she saw her best friend, Deirdre, sitting on the couch.

"Girl! What are you doing here?" She asked as she hugged the shorter blonde.

"I was able to get off work so I came to see you." She said as they let go.

"Cool!" She grabbed her and pulled her towards the stairs, "we have much to discuss."

"Hi Mario!" Deirdre laughed as she got pulled away.

"So.. You and Sid on the same team, huh?"

"Shut up. Why does everybody think we're fucking?"

"Because, you both known each other since you were teenagers , you are both hockey robots, and let's be real you're both really hot."

"Whatever, I mean it could work if he wasn't the biggest ass ever!"

"Wait, he IS the biggest ass or he HAS the biggest ass?" Deirdre laughed.

"Both." Rowan laughed too.

"You should try and be nice. To him and the team."

"I will. My dad made me promise him. Speaking of being nice to him, I'm going to the team party tomorrow. Will you go with me?"

"I would love to. But I can't, my flight back to Denver leaves at noon tomorrow, but text me after and tell me how it goes. Tell me if you made any friends."

Rowan chuckled, "Hopefully."