Chapter 9

"Hey Dad, I have a question." Rowan hesitantly quipped as she entered her dad's office.

"Anything, bebe." Mario said taking his glasses off.

"What was my mom like?" It was the question Rowan had always wanted to ask. "You've told me what happened to her. How she thought she was too young to be a mom, and left when I was a month old." She sat down on the edge of Mario's desk.  "But, you've never told me what she was like."

"I knew you'd want to know about her one day." He sighed, "Her and I weren't even together a year when she got pregnant with you. Our entire relationship she seemed like she was acting the entire time. Putting on this face of what she thought she should act like, dating a hockey player and all."

"I know that, you've said she was kinda fake, but what was she like. You know, as a person, what was her personality? What foods did she like? What was her favorite color? Was she anything like me?"

"She was nothing like you, she was quiet and dependent on other people. The only thing you got from her was your hair. She had the prettiest hair." He said, placing a hand on top of Rowans, "She wasn't very smart, but she was the best at comforting people. She was very compassionate, maybe even to compassionate. She didn't have the 'tough love' mentality you have." He smiled, "To be honest, she was a puck bunny, and I fell for her."

"Do you ever regret falling for her? Do you ever miss her?"

"Row, I got you. I don't regret anything that happened with her because I got you, and you are the best thing in my life."

"Thanks Dad, your my best friend, you know that right?"

"I thought Deirdre was but I guess I'm a good choice too." He chuckled.

"Funny dad." She smiled, "Do you ever miss her?"

"I don't necessarily miss her, I sometimes wish I had someone to love, other than you, someone to share my life with. I do get lonely in this big house sometimes though. The dogs are nice but they're not a wife."

"That was deep dad. And really sappy."

"Be quiet." He chuckled.

Rowan couldn't help but fight the sudden urge to hug her dad.

"What was that for?"

"It was a thank you. For never giving up on me. For never forcing me do anything; for letting me chose what I wanted to do. Since I chose to be a hockey player, thanks for helping me learn everything I know. Thanks for never putting to much pressure on me."

"I'd never put to much pressure on you." He smiled, "not on purpose anyway."

"I appreciate that. I feel like the whole city is waiting for me to step it up and win some games."

"I know how you feel," Mario said, "I've been where you are, but you've been through this before though, you know how to handle the pressure."

"I know, I've done this before, but this time it's with a new team and I feel like the new guy who's letting everyone down."

"Rowan, you were The One in Philly, you were the captain, the leader, at one point you seemed to be the whole damn team." Mario said, "You don't have to be that anymore. You have guys like Evgeni and Sid and even Kris who who are going through the same thing right now. They know what it's like to be a star on a team and not be able to win games. It's not just you anymore," he patted her leg, "you don't have to be the hero all the time."

"Thanks dad." Rowan hugged him, "I needed that."

"Anytime Bebe."