7: tied up

I open my eyes groggily, but it's so dark in this place that it feels as though my eyes are still shut.

Wait? Where am I?

My head is pounding, and I feel dried blood on my eyelid and forehead.

"Zoe?" I call out hopefully.

"Steph?" Says a voice, but it's not Zoe's.

"Stan?" I ask.

"Yeah, what happened? Why are you here too?" He questions me.

"I was gonna ask you the same things! You start." I tell him.

"As soon as you left last week, Sally and Steve came upstairs and told me they'd heard everything we were talking about. They said that we couldn't know and that I needed to be punished. They took me down here and locked me in." He explains.

"Where are we?"

"In the basement, I'm tied to a water pipe." He says tiredly.

Looking down to my hands, I realise that I too am tied to a water pipe.

As my eyes adjust to the darkness I see Stans' slumped figure leaning against the wall on the other side of the empty basement.

I try and pull my wrists out of the rope they're tied in, but fail. Suddenly, I have an idea. Swirling my tongue around in my mouth, it fills with saliva and I spit it out onto the back of my hand.

Covering my hand in spit, it easily slides out of the knot. I quickly do the other one as Stan catches onto what I'm doing and copies.

Pretty soon we're both free, but we can't walk out the door, we would get caught!

Spotting a little window right at the top of the wall, Stan gives me a boost up and I unlatch it, opening it up. It's a tiny window, only just big enough to squeeze my shoulders through, but I slide out the other side and drop to the floor.

Stan uses my hand to pull himself up and out and he lands on top of me on the dewy grass in the garden.

Realising that we're free, we start running. Heading for the beach, we run along the paths. I hear a door slam behind me and a woman yelling something. Turning around, I realise that it's Sally, and she's chasing us.

We run and hide round a corner. After a few minutes, Stan peeks his head out round the corner - and smashes right into Steve!