Chapter 8

Patience woke up and saw a bright white light above her. She moved her hand over her face and lifted her head; her hand ran through soft grass and she saw a fully blossomed orchid tree.

"What is going on?" she said looking down at her dirty ripped white gown.

"See I'm not all that bad am I?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Not scared of me anymore?"

"Why should I be, you're not going anywhere."

"Wow, must have been some dream you had there, to snap you out of this whole I'm sane thing."

"Whatever; just tell me what's going on."

"I possessed the guard to get you out of there," said the figure that looked like Patience.

"So how did I get here?"

"You would have freaked out, if you were conscious. I just saved us both some time; I couldn’t really take that place anymore."

"So you basically possessed my body and led me out of that place?"

"Simply put yes."

"Why are you being nice to me now, you were so frightening and vengeful," Patience said sitting up and wrapping her arms around her legs looking at the figure that reflected her image.

"Why try to scare you when you don’t care, there isn't a point, I'm still getting my revenge, it just has nothing to do with you."

"Then why did you have me kill Lorry and Mark?" tears started to well up in her eyes.

"Your life was to perfect, Mark loved you and would never hurt you, and Lorry thought of you like a friend."

"Why are you so stuck on the 'perfect' life thing?"

"Stop asking so many questions, it's none of your business."

"All I want to know is why."

"Your stupid therapist tricks won't work on me, I suggest you keep your mouth shut or I'll find another host!" the figure screamed.

Patience said nothing and let her legs fall to her side and her hands fall in between her now crossed legs. She ran her hand through her hair and let it fall onto her leg. She felt a piece of paper on her hip. She ignored it until her new friend was gone.

Patience took in a deep breath and said, "Can you at least tell me what you are?"

"I'm someone who left this world long ago, I have unfinished business."

"So you're a ghost?"

"Hardly, I don’t fly through walls, or float."

"Then what are you?"

"I'm a soul that's it, I refuse to go to heaven or hell, in my opinion they don’t even exist."

"Why don’t you believe they exist?"

"I see so many of us around here, why would they all still be here?"

"Maybe their lost too."

"Don’t preach to me; keep your beliefs to yourself."

She disappeared, in the dissipation of smoke just like before. Patience pulled up her dress and slipped the paper from between her thigh and her underwear. It was a yellow envelope. She pulled the back up and reached inside. Inside was a letter to a Mrs. Burick, and a picture of a young girl and…"Boss?"