Chapter 3

"Honey, time to get up."

A set of groans came from Patience.

"Come on, don't want to be late."

"Mark?"

"Yea, who else would it be?"

She rolled over and sat up.

"Time to go, I love you."

"Love you too, see you tonight."

Mark left the room and walked down stairs. The door shut heavily and Patience got out of bed. She looked at floor and it was nothing but a black hole with no sight of life. Patience pulled her knees in and closed her eyes tightly, then opened them again. The hole was gone and she set her feet on the floor.

"What is going on with me?"

"You're the person you always feared to be."

"What? Who's there?"

"You know who I am; I've always been with you. You're just now releasing me in your thoughts."

"That voice, I know that voice. You're the voice from yesterday!"

"Great observation, but why the stupid act?"

"Get out of my head!"

Patience ran down stairs holding her head.

"You don't want to do that Patience."

"Get out of my head! I have no reason to hear you!"

The voice disappeared and Patience released her grip on her head. She Looked around and saw the coffee steaming. She grabbed a cup of coffee and went back upstairs to get dressed.

"Sir, I need to speak with Lorry."

"You saw her yesterday."

"I need to see her again, trust me please."

"Fine, but you will have to meet with her in her room; she had an episode last night."

"Thank you, sir."

Patience left the room and headed to the security gate. They buzzed her in and led her to Lorry's room. The heavy steal door opened and Patience stepped inside.

"Lorry?"

"Patience?"

"Yes, it's me, how are you feeling?"

"I don’t know," Lorry said facing the wall.

"You don’t know? Why not sweetie?"

"I'm not sure, something is different."

"Different? Can you tell me?"

"Why am I here? I did nothing wrong."

"Lorry you’re here because you killed your family."

"I did not! I didn’t kill them, I love my family!" Lorry started to cry.

Patience sat next to Lorry on the white cot and placed a hand on her back. "I know you love them, but you did it and I would like to know why."

"I didn't kill them, I wasn’t even there when it happened, I mean I was but it wasn’t me that did it."

"Who was it?" Patience pried.

"I don’t know, all I remember is seeing their bodies lying there in the living room. I don’t even know how it happened."

"Lorry, you were holding the knife when the police showed up."

"I'm 11 years old, how can I possibly be able to take my dad down, he was twice my size and 4 times my weight."

Patience thought about an 11 year old girl holding a knife and standing in shock and disbelief that her entire family is dead.

"Next thing I know, I'm in the room and men are trying to hold me down."

"Lorry, do you remember these words?" Patience said handing her the notepad that had Lorry's words on it.

"No, who said it?"

"You did, only two days ago."

"I didn’t say this," she said looking up at Patience.

Patience stood up and walked over to the door and told the guard to open it.

"You're not leaving me here are you?" Lorry cried grabbing Patience's hand.

Patience looked into Lorry's eyes and saw a helpless, scared child, not a murderer. The door opened and Patience pulled away from Lorry, in her own thought pattern she didn’t even think twice that she might have just broken a little girls heart.

"Sir, I need to talk to you," said Patience as the door swung open.

"Patience, of course. What is it?"

"I need to see Lorry's surveillance tape from last night; I need to see her episode."

"That is confidential information and can only be reviewed by me and the security guards."

"Lorry doesn’t understand why she is here, and she doesn’t even remember how her family died."

"She's playing games with you," he said leaning back in his chair.

Patience slammed her hands on the desk and said, "These are not games, I saw a little girls heart break for a second time!"

"That is not a girl anymore."

"Stop talking about her like she is an animal! She is only a child that witnessed her family's murder and has no idea how it happened."

"I'm sorry but without evidence we have to keep her, at least until her court date."

"Fine, I will be there on her court date to make sure the jury votes in her favor and then you can forget about me being your employee!"

Patience stormed out of the office and slammed the door behind her walking past 3 gates then finally returning outside.

The sky was dark and it wasn’t but a few hours ago she was outside of the asylum. Patience looked up at the sky and there was nothing but a single star and it seemed to get bigger the more she looked at it. The star started to grow brighter and bigger and it crashed into the earth just in front of Patience, tearing the concrete and caving in. Patience fell back and the ground cracked beneath her leaving her to hold on to a piece of broken concrete that was falling into the flaming crack the star created. The earth was collapsing into the hell that was before her very eyes.

"Patience!"

"Huh." She opened her eyes and the sun was up about mid sky and Susan was waving at her.

"Hey, did you go swimming last night?" Susan asked her walking up.

"I don’t think so."

"How do you not know?" Susan asked laughing.

"I don’t remember, I'm sorry, why?"

"Well, I tried calling you, to let you know I couldn’t make it, but you didn’t answer."

"Oh sorry, I must have been busy."

"I suppose, well look I'm heading in for my shift, I'll talk to you later."

"Bye," Patience said with a dazed look on her face. She walked to her car and got in. She started the engine and headed home.