The Joke (Chapter 16, End)

May 5, 2013

Gerard's PoV

It had been 19 days in the hospital and Frank had gotten much better. I didn't understand why they had kept him so long. His lungs and ribs weren't hurting him as much as they did and his arm would be healed quite soon. He was going to be okay, just as I said. 

"How're you feeling?" I asked him, laying beside him as I always did. 

"I'm fine." he said forcing himself to smile. 

"I'm going for a walk, I'll be back soon." I told him as I stood. "Take a nap or something while I'm gone, okay?" 

"Alright my love, I will." he replied, closing his eyes. 

Before I walked out the door I was stopped by voices of the doctors outside his door. 

"Was he talking to himself again?" one of them said

"Yep. I think we have to do it." the other replied. Do what? 

"I'll call up the doctors at The Ward and see if they're ready for him." The first man said.

"It's such a shame to see such a nice young man be like this." He said shaking his head, and walking to the phone.

They're taking Frank to The Ward? The fucking mental hospital? What the fuck. I started running my fingers through my hair and pacing the hallway outside of Frank's room. They think he's crazy, but he's only talking to me. It's my fault, for not making myself visible to anyone in the hospital but him. It's my only choice though, right? 

I caught up with the doctor at the phone, and listened to the conversation he was having. 

"They'll be ready for him tomorrow? Okay. Let me write this down." he said shuffling the phone to his other ear so he could write. 

I did what I had to, I appeared in front of him and knocked the phone out of his hand "You're not going to do that." I said, looking him dead in the eyes. 

"What the heck." he said with pure confusion. "Where did you come from?" 

"Doesn't matter, motherfucker. You're not sending that patient to the fucking mental hospital." I said with as much rage as I could manage. 

"Mr.Iero?" He asked in a small panic. 

"Yes." 

"Well, it was my um, order." he said

"Fuck you." I said and knocked him to the floor, disappearing. 

As much as I hated to admit it there was one option now, because I knew everyone thought Frank had gone insane now.  I returned to Frank's room to see he had fallen asleep.  I laid beside him gently and dozed off. 

--

I woke up only an half hour after I fell asleep to see Frank had awoken as well. 

"Hey." he said looking over at me.

"Hey Frank." I said, knowing what I was about to say was going to freak him out. "Frank, they're sending you away."

"Oh? Where to?" he said, concern filling his face. 

I sighed. "The mental hospital, they think you're insane because you've been talking to me." 

He then did the unexpected and smiled. "Really? That means I can talk to you all the time then, right?" 

I was shocked by his response. "No Frank. That's not healthy. You don't deserve that. " I said getting off the uncomfortable bed and standing. "You deserve a happy life" 

"There's no happiness in a world without you Gerard. Don't you see that? Don't you see how bad it hurts to not be able to go out with you? To have conversations with Mikey and you? To perform in a fucking band with you?" he snapped at me. 

"I-I didn't m-mean to hurt you." I stuttered over my words, shocked at him yelling at me. 

He then sighed. "Get over here and lay with me, I want to be near you before they send me away." 

I did what he said and laid beside him. "You'll visit me sometimes won't you Gee?" he asked me

"Of course Frankie." I said as he cuddled me close. Yet no matter what I couldn't get the thought out of my head of what I was going to do as soon as he dosed off. He'd never survive in that hospital and I couldn't survive without him. We sat in silence for the longest time until I noticed he had fallen asleep.

Do it Gerard. You have to. He'll forgive you. I kept telling myself over and over as I carefully removed the pillow from behind his head. I pressed the pillow to his face with all my force, holding it down as he awoke his eyes wide, grasping for my arms to remove them. I began to cry, watching him frail his arms and try to claw at me.

"I'm so sorry." I repeated over and over as he began to sob and stop moving as much from lack of oxygen.  After what seemed like a million years he stopped moving altogether and the line measuring his heart rate went flat. Sirens wailed through the hospital and doctors ran into the room trying to bring him back but failing after every attempt, and then slowly covering him up with his sheets. 

Frank's PoV 

It was a sweet dream, of Gerard and I together happy. We had a beautiful house and even an child. It was perfect.  It was interrupted when I awoke, with Gerard over me and a pillow covering my mouth and nose. I couldn't breathe, I began to sob and frail my arms as he kept crying and hysterically apologizing over and over. 

Then it everything went black. 

This darkness was odd, darker than anything I'd ever seen. It was peaceful and when I awoke I was beside Gerard. I pulled him into a hug and then turned and held his hand, watching the frantic doctors trying to bring back my life. 

"You didn't have to  apologize, Gee. Life was a joke, but at least now I can love you." I told him as he wiped his tears with one hand. 

"I do love you, Frankie." He said turning away from the doctors rolling my body out of the room, to face me.

"I love you too, Gerard." I said, kissing him for the first time in our eternity together. 

A/N

Yep that was seriously the ending. An epilogue soon to come. I'll also be writing another fic soon, involving Motionless in White and some others. So except that. Thanks to everyone who has been reading.