Chapter 42 - I Knew You Were Trouble

The next day, when I arrived at school, people were looking at me strangely. Maybe because my hair was uneven and I had put food colouring over the ends this morning, or maybe I was dressing better for a change- not that denim shorts and leather jackets were good- or maybe because I still looked worn out but tried to hide it.

I knew I had changed, though. I wasn’t the same person I was a couple of weeks back.

 Along with different looks, my attitude had changed... and I wasn’t liking it. Sure, it kind of was my fault that I had this bad attitude, but I couldn’t really control it. I kind of just snapped every time and I never realised what I actually say until I’ve said it. To be honest, I hated the way I was acting, but I was in too much emotional pain to care.

 As soon as I walked into the choir room, the whole room fell silent. Their gazes were all on me, most of them wide-eyed ones, besides Angie, who seemed completely fed up. “Um, hi, Marley.” Jake said. “You got a haircut and you’re wearing Angie’s clothes and you kind of look kind of slutty,” He said.

 I scoffed loudly and rolled my eyes, remembering I was trying to act nice.  I slid my hands in my pockets and walked towards the chairs, stumbling over my own feet- I was planning on wearing a pair of Angie’s heels, and now I’m glad I didn’t decide to.

 I hadn’t eaten in two days- a couple of days ago, I snacked on fruit and I hadn’t forced it back up my throat. I guess I was kind of proud of myself for that.

 “I like your hair?” Kitty said, leaning over to me and touched the cut off bit.  “Thanks.” I spat out, looking to Angie, who almost looked... sad? “Why’d you cut it?” Kitty asked again. “I was angry.” I murmured, looking over at Ryder quickly and looking back at my legs.

 “Marley,” Angie sighed. I looked over to her and watched as she awkwardly played with her hair and her jacket. “No offense, but you have changed. I mean, I know this is getting to you- this whole situation- and I’ve been kind to you with your changes and I have been helping you, but I can’t... I can’t deal with this.” I frowned over at her and swallowed the lump forming in my throat. “You’re a bitch right now. First you were just sad and angry, now you’re being really, really mean to everyone who just wants to help you.”

 “Fine.” I snapped. I stood up suddenly and looked over at her and Ryder.”I don’t care if you think I’m bitch or a slut or whatever.” I murmured, trying not to let the pain get to me. Well, the new pain that had been put there by my best friend. I stormed out of the room at that point, the whole room staring after me. I ran into Finn in the doorway, who was curious as to what had happened with me. Instead of talking, I pushed him out of the way and continued walking down the hallway, refusing to let my tears show.

 I ran into the bathroom and went to the first cubicle I saw. I took off Angie’s jacket, throwing it next to me and, quicker than I ever had, pushed my fingers down my throat.

 “Are you okay?” I heard someone ask from my behind me. Once I had stopped vomiting, I turned around and saw the neckbrace Cheerio standing there, looking down at me. “Fine, thanks,” I whispered, my throat stinging. She nodded and looked to the side, still staying in the doorway. “You seem different to me.” She whispered. “I don’t know you, but you used to be confident in  how you looked and you took pride in it, but now you seem like you want to curl up in a corner and not be noticed.”

 “I’m just going through a rough time. I know I’ve changed- my best friend called me a bitch because I am sad because my boyfriend cheated on me.” I said loudly and shook my head. “I-I’m just not feeling that good right now.”

 “It’s okay.” The Cheerio said. “Do you want me to go?” She whispered. I nodded once and stared at the wall in front of me. “Okay, well, you’ll find me at the Cheerio’s table if you need someone, okay? Or by my locker.” She quickly shut the door and fled the bathroom, leaving me alone in the bathroom with my thoughts.