Chapter 4: The Dance

Maka's POV:

We were in a rush since we only had an hour and a half to get ready and get there. I took my shower before Soul Since I take slightly longer to get ready. Don't get me wrong though, he's a huge prima-donna because of his hair. When I was done, I blow dried my hair and curled the tips of it. I put on my dress and some makeup, which I never wore, and by the time I was finished, Soul was ready. We walked to the DWMA so the wind from the bike wouldn't mess up our hair. I noticed how anxious Soul looked as we walked. Is something wrong, Soul? I asked in plain curiosity. We were going to a dance in our honor. What could be bothering him? Nothing. He said as we got there. He was nervous for something. I could tell. But I left the matter alone and went inside to have fun. When we got inside, the ballroom was beautifully decorated. Lord Death really did know how to pull off an amazing gala at the last second. And there wasn't the same lame band. There was actually a DJ. I looked over at Soul and he seemed happy about it. He much prefers DJs over bands. Tsubaki and Blackstar were at one of the tables and Blackstar was gorging himself as usual, Kid was admiring the symmetry of the DJ stand, and Liz and Patty were trying to get Kid to dance with them. I felt something grab my hand and before I knew it, Soul was leading me onto the dance floor. I couldn't believe it. This was so unlike Soul. Then I finally understood why he was so nervous coming over here. He did like me back! It probably wasn't love, but it was a start. I was overcome with joy. We danced to some really fun songs when a slow song came on. He blushed as he looked shyly at me. It was cute. Then he put his hands on my waist and I put my hands on his shoulders as we swayed. I felt like I was floating on a cloud. It was amazing. I wished it would never end. But unfortunately, it did. We were hugging when it ended. My father must have seen because he was in the emo corner and started growing mushrooms. I giggled. I normally hate when my father has anything to do with me, but this time I found it hilarious. We danced for two more songs before we decided we needed a break and went to get some drinks. They serve alcohol at these dances and they let students drink them. Soul liked that part. Students were not allowed to drink except for this time, so Soul without hesitation ordered a shot of whiskey. I didn't really drink at these times, but I thought that I should have some fun, so I ordered one soon. We stopped at one though because Soul said he wanted to show me something. He led me upstairs to where the piano and the balcony is. He sat down at the piano and played it. The song he was playing was beautiful. Then he got up and went out to the balcony. We stood there talking about how pretty the stars were. Then Soul said something that I thought he would never, ever say. I was completely overcome with happiness when he said they are, but nothing can ever compare to how beautiful you are. He then turned towards me and started leaning in. This was it. This was really happening. It wasn't a dream. It wasn't a prank. It was real. I leaned in too until our lips were pressed against each others. Then it intensified. I felt his tongue slowly work his way into my mouth. I gasped as our tongues danced. I didn't ever want to stop. I loved him. My heart swelled with warmth when he finally pulled away and said "I love you, Maka. I felt my eyes fill with tears of happiness as I said "I love you too, Soul. The night was so far the best of my life. I will never forget it.