Chapter 8: Not Again

Maka's POV:

Tears splattered on my lap as I stared at the ground outside of the infirmary where Soul was. I should have believed him. Blackstar gave him a good beating after he slashed open Soul. When Slash was defeated, his soul wavelength no longer had an affect on me. I was Soul's only meister. It was all my fault that he was like this. Not again. Just please, be all right, Soul. You have to be ok. I fully expected him to be mad at me. He normally wasn't about this kind of thing though. My thoughts were interrupted by the infirmary door opening and Dr. Stein walking out. "Your still here? You can go home, Maka. Soul will stay here tonight." Dr. Stein told me as I battered him with questions. "How's Soul? Will he be all right?". "He's fine, and he'll be alright to go home tomorrow. He has another nasty scar though." he tried to reassure me as I felt even worse. Another scar. No. I can never forgive myself. "He now has an X across his torso." Dr. Stein joked as I started to feel slightly infuriated. How can he joke when Soul has a forever reminder that I failed him? "It's not funny." I said as I tried very hard not to freak out on him. He remembered how I felt last time and he stopped. "I'm sorry, Maka. I forgot about last time. If it makes you feel any better, boys love when they get new scars. Soul will call it 'cool'" he once again tried to reassure me. I did feel a little better when I thought about it. He did say that scars were cool after he recovered from our first fight with Crona. "Can I at least see Soul?" I asked. I just wanted to see him. Just to feel calm. "Fine, but don't wake him up. He needs to rest." he said as he opened the door for me. I went on in and when I saw him, I hurried over to his bed. This was just like last time. There would be no bad dreams this time because there was no black blood. No, Soul was just slashed open. Why would his own brother be that way to him though? I just didn't get it. I looked down at Soul and kissed him on the forehead. Goodnight Soul. Please be ok tonight. For me.

Soul's POV:

I could here voices coming from outside. For some reason I couldn't wake up though. I tried to make out the voices. One of them was Dr. Stein's, and the other was... Maka's! I wanted desperately to open my eyes and see her pretty face. I wanted to tell her that Slash was wrong, that she was my only meister.Then I felt Maka's presence next to me. She was sad. She's blaming herself. Then I felt her lips touch my forehead. She knows now that Slash was tricking her. I could probably relax now that I know that she's back to normal. I just wanted her to know that it wasn't her fault though.