Chapter 20: DNA Madness

Aunt Poppy's POV

I stared at the machine, trying to process the results. I've never seen something like this before, her energy readings are off the charts. This toon, no wait, this human, holds so much untapped power. She did come from the human world... Does this mean that she has more power than us? Or is this some sort of mistake that happened when she passed through the dimensional gate?

"Ugh, all these unanswered questions. I had no idea it would be this difficult. Rari, do you have any ideas?"

She shook her head and went back to jotting down notes at a furious pace. The machine she was looking at was taking reading after reading of the one strand of fur that was left behind from Star's visit. Maybe her DNA is the key to answering some of these questions...

"We're going to need a strand of DNA from a normal toon to serve as the control group if we even want to notice any difference in the proteins. Rari, you mind if-"

Rari put up her paw to stop me from talking and then plucked a single strand of fur off of her clothing, carefully setting it in an analysis machine. She smiled and turned back around to focus on tracking Star's DNA. I walked back over to the energy readings machine and saw no difference in the energy levels last time I checked them. I don't understand how her aura could be so in sync with the area and she's never even been here before. It's like... She was destined to live here the entire time. No, I'm taking this to far. She has her own family and friends back home... Right?

"Rari, are their any records of ANYONE from a different area that we took these kinds of readings from?"

She stopped writing and then rose from her chair, rushing to the other side of the room and pulling a box off of a shelf. She ran back over to me and put the box down on the floor, nodding and going back to the DNA machines, watching them carefully. I sighed and picked up the box, noticing how heavy it was, and set it down on the table, starting to sift through the contents. I pulled out a file from a toon named Professor Cliff Purpleton that Rari and I helped get back to their world about a couple years ago. His energy levels were about the same as Star's...

"Rari, Purpleton's aura and energy readings are pretty much copy and paste to Star's. Wait, where did he say he was from again?"

She shrugged and didn't tear her focus away from the DNA machine. The machines beeped and printed out the results, with Rari immediately grabbing the papers and looking at them. She handed the papers off to me and I couldn't see any difference in the DNA.

"Rari, I'm not seeing anything that stands out with the DNA. Do you think you can help me out and take a closer look at this?"

She took the papers from me and stared at them. Her eyes widened and she pointed out a specific gene, one that we studied when we first teamed up.

"What? It's just the strand that decides your toon species."

She pointed towards it again and I took a closer look.

"Wow... This whole strand is crazy. It's completely different. Run a scan on this one strand, find the protein differences if you could. We're one step closer to finding out where her power is coming from. I'll make sure the lab is secure, the cogs can't get this information. It would put the entire rebel operation in jeopardy."

Rari nodded and I ran over towards the entrance to the laboratory and looked up to see the manhole cover right where it should be. I sighed in relief, walking back to the table I was sitting at. I looked at the results again, trying to process it.

All this chaos, in one gene. This will be interesting.