Love You Forever Part 2

Meredith flopped down on the couch in the living room, and picked up a medical journal for reading. Derek had sent her a text a few hours ago, saying that he was stuck in an emergency surgery and he would be late. She was waiting for him to come home, so that she could go and take a shower. After she had come home that day, she had been promptly engaged in calming down the fussy Ellis. She had been so involved in trying to calm Ellis down and putting the kids to bed that she had not even found the time to shower after the long day that she had. By now, Meredith was sure that she stank of sweat and dirt, and she couldn't wait to go and take a long, warm shower once Derek came home.

Lights illumined their driveway and minutes later, the front door flung open and Derek stepped inside the house.

"Hey," Derek greeted his wife, coming up to her and placing a quick kiss on her lips.

"Hey," Meredith greeted back as Derek sat down on the couch beside her and took his overcoat and jacket off. "Be quiet, I just sent Ellis and Bailey to bed."

"Now?" Derek asked as he glanced at the clock hanging on their living room wall.

"Well, your littlest princess was being a fussy baby today, and I had to go to great pains to finally put her down. Then, I discovered that your little guy could not sleep, so I sat by him and read to him till he finally drifted off."

"Whoa, what's with all the 'your kids' thing? I thought that they were our kids," Derek chuckled.

"When the kids are being all fussy and difficult, then they are your kids. Other times, ours," Meredith said simply, causing Derek to chortle.

"Shh...What did I tell you about being quiet?" Meredith admonished in a hushed voice.

"Sorry," Derek said and then pulled his wife into his arms. Meredith easily melted in her husband's strong embrace and pillowing her head on his chest, she said, "Our kids are growing up so fast, Derek. Zola's already six, and Bailey is three. And you know what Bailey said to me today? When I asked him why he didn't call me when he couldn't fall asleep, he answered that he didn't want to trouble me as I was already having trouble with putting Ellis down."

Derek pulled back slightly and looked at Meredith in awe. "Bailey said that?"

Meredith nodded her head. "Wow, Mer, our little boy is growing up," Derek commented quietly.

"I know. All of them are growing up and that too, so fast. Even Ellis looked so grown up today; not at all like a newborn baby. Before we know, all of them will be adults and they will move out and then, we will be left alone, like empty nesters," Meredith rasped out, sniffing a little.

"Hmm...Well, that's why I was saying last night that we should have another baby," Derek quipped.

Meredith immediately pulled back from him and smacked him playfully on the chest. "Derek! Not again." She rolled her eyes at him.

Derek chuckled as he pulled her close again. "What? I am just stating the obvious. They are all growing up, so we should have another baby so that we can experience the joys of having a newborn again," he said smartly, a puckish glint in his eyes.

"Oh, really? And how on Earth are we going to manage four kids? We already have enough trouble managing three. Besides, we cannot just have another baby every time we want to experience the joys of having a newborn. That way, I will still be giving birth at 60."

Derek guffawed at her statement and then quickly covered his mouth with his hand to suppress his laughter. After he had finished laughing a great deal, he panted and said, "Fourth one will be the last one, I promise."