When Your Eyes Met Mine

Timeline: Meredith and Derek's first night together at The Emerald City Bar

"What are you gonna have?" the genial, kind-faced bartender asked Meredith as she settled down on the barstool.

"Straight tequila," Meredith answered, giving the bartender a small smile.

The bartender widened his eyes as he said, "Straight Tequila, really? You are going to be sorry in the morning." The bartender warned her.

Meredith's smile widened. "I am always sorry in the morning. But, tomorrow, I start my first day at work, so keep 'em coming," she replied as Joe, the bartender walked away to get her drink.

Meredith's nerves were really on edge about her first day at work and she had even escaped from the intern mixer so that she could get some tequila into her system and psych herself up for the big day. Meredith fiddled with the hem of her dress as she waited for her drink, completely unaware of the pair of cerulean eyes that were transfixed on her from afar.

Joe came back soon with her drink, and handing it to Meredith, Joe turned to the man who had walked over to the bar.

"How you doing?" Joe asked the man as Meredith downed her shot.

"Double scotch, single malt please," a deep, velvety male voice answered right from beside Meredith that suddenly piqued Meredith's interest. Joe went away to get the man's drink and Meredith was left alone with the man.

"So, is this a good place to hang out?" the deep timbre of the man's voice vibrated against Meredith's eardrums as she realized that the question was directed at her. Meredith turned her head crabwise as she finally laid eyes on the dark-haired man, her green eyes clashing with a pair of piercing blue ones.

"Uh...I wouldn't know. Never been here before," Meredith answered, and the man smiled softly at her.

"Oh, you know what? I haven't either. First time here. I'm new in town. Never been to Seattle," the man said as he sat down on the barstool next to Meredith. "New job, so..." the man finished and looked at Meredith, only to find her sipping her drink and staring straight ahead.

"Ha! You're ignoring me," the man remarked as Meredith kept her eyes glued on the wall in front of her.

"Um...Trying to..." Meredith replied, hoping that the man would take the hint and leave her alone. Sure, the man was handsome - he was devilishly handsome, but he was such a bore. And, he definitely had no idea about how to flirt. Looks can only get you so far, she mused to herself.

The man's lips curved upwards into a smile as he said, "You shouldn't ignore me."

"Why not?" Meredith threw back, not averting her eyes.

"Because I'm someone you need to know to get to love," the man answered cockily.

The man's cocky and bold remark made Meredith turn her head towards the man and she smiled gently. Maybe, the man was not such a bore after all. The arrogant quip really suited the man well.

"Really?" Meredith asked, smiling.

"Oh, yes."

"So, if I know you, I'll love you..." Meredith stated, waiting for confirmation from the man.

"Oh, yes," the man answered with a smirk.

"You really like yourself, huh?" Meredith asked, slightly stunned by the man's arrogance.

"Just hiding my pain," the man answered, making Meredith laugh. The man joined in her laughter.

"So, what's your story?" the man asked.