Part 1: The Letter

There was a loud knock at the door, startling Aphmau awake.

-Aphmau's POV-

*says groggily* "I'm coming..."*falls back asleep* *Another loud knock* "Alright, alright, I'm up!"

*she walks downstairs to the door only to open it and find Garroth, looking panicked* "What's wrong Garroth?" She said with the expression of concern flashing across her face. "What?nothingswrongwhywouldyousaythat?" Garroth asked, speaking quickly. "Well if nothing's wrong, why- Nevermind, what have you come to tell me Garroth?"

-Garroths POV-

/I can't let her think I'm worried../

"I've just received a letter from Raven that states that Jeffery the Golden Heart has recently 'gone missing', which means that since I was next on the waiting list..."

"...you're a member of the jury of nine?"

"Well not yet, although my presence has been requested in O'Khasis to either accept or deny this offer."

"...but if you become a member of the jury of nine-"

"I will have to resign as head guard of Phoenix Drop."

-Aphmau's POV-

*surprise, shock, and an unnerving feeling run through her brain* 

"I don't know if I have a choice Lord Aphmau..."

"What do you mean? You have the ability to decline, do you not?"

"Well, the Jury of nine does not take kindly to those who deny their 'generous offers', as it is an act of defiance and humiliation, which could cause some problems."

"But what about Zane? He's sure to hear about this and confront you in O'Khasis!"

"Knowing Zane, he is already aware of this."

"...what do you WANT to do Garroth? Imagine there were no consequences for your decision, would you choose to stay in Phoenix Drop, or become a member of the Jury of Nine?"

-Garroths POV-

*Aphmau looks at him intensely, curiosity burning in her beautiful, yet determined eyes*

*Garroth feels his face begin to heat up*

/I can't let my feelings get in the way of reality../

"What I want doesn't matter Lord Aphmau, not in a situation like this. If I were to deny the offer of the Jiry of Nine-"

"What? What could they do without word spreading?"

"...kill all witnesses..."

"................."

"Listen lord Aphmau, I only wish what better ensures the safety of y-- the village, please understand that this is for the good of everyone."

-Aphmau's POV-

"Well how safe can Pheonix Drop be, with our head guard gone Garroth?"

"Laurence would resume my position as head guard, and I trust him to protect everyone, as should you Aphmau."

"Garroth, I do trust Laurence... Phoenix drop just wouldn't be the same without you though."

-Garroth's POV-

*his heart skips a beat*

"Lady Aphmau, nothing is set in stone yet, and trust me, if a had another option I would stay in Phoenix Drop! If you find another option that doesn't involve me leaving, please inform me immediately. Until then, I'd best be preparing for the journey."

"Does anyone else know of this Garroth?"

"I came to you first Lord Aphmau."

"You know if you end up accepting this position you won't be able to call me that anymore."

"Well than Lady Aphmau, I'm off to pack my things. I have 3 days tops until I must leave for O'Khasis. Feel free to inform whomever you wish. Good day lady Aphmau."

*he walks away*

-Aphmau's POV-

/how could he even consider.. That selfish little... I can't believe this please tell me this is a bad dream... Wake me up../

"Mom? Are you okay?"

*aphmau turns around to see Malachi staring at her questioningly*

"Hm? Yes Malachi, I'm just slightly distressed."

"What's wrong mom?"

".... Garroth is going to be leaving Pheonix drop soon."

"When will he be back? Where is he going?"

"..Garroth is planning on moving to O'Khasis to become a member of the Jury of Nine."

"Isn't that good for him?"

"Not exactly Malachi, but it's for the good of Phoenix Drop."

"...mom, I don't understand..."

*she smiles slightly* "you don't need to sweetie... It's grown up stuff."

"Can we at least throw a party for Garroth before he leaves?"

"Sure, that sounds like a great idea."

"Im going back upstairs to play with Levin, okay mom?"

"Sounds great Malachi, have fun!"

*Aphmau returns to her room and sits down, thinking to herself.

/how could this be avoided? Why does everything always happen to me?/

-Garroth's POV-

/I can't leave not knowing... I have to know, if I don't it'll kill me. I might as well already accept the fact that I have to leave, but I need to know before I go, I HAVE to know.../

-Both POV-

/I should talk to Laurence about this../

AUTHORS