chapter twenty-seven

{ Quinn's POV }

three weeks later

Today is the anniversary of my brothers death. This day is always hard for me, it just reminds me that the one person who was always there for me is gone.

I woke up this morning feeling my depression kick me in the ass hard. Luke doesn't understand because I've never really told him about my brothers death. As far as he knows he's still alive.

What also sucks is my best friend also passed away in the same week as my brother. So two people I cared deeply for are gone.

I've also never spoken of him around Luke. He doesn't know anything about him.

It's around lunch time and this is my seventh break down.

Tears stream down my face as I remember all the good times me and my brother had. Sometimes I just wish he was still here, to pick me up when I'm down. Watch my back.

It's a Thursday so Luke is at work and I'm home alone. I just want to see my brother and my best friend again.

I go through my personal belongings and try to find my old pal.

I go through and old makeup bag and find the semi shiny metal object that I'm looking for.

I flip my arm over so my wrist is up and hesitate. I look at all the faded scars on both arms and on my legs. Tears fall on my legs as I press the blade against my pale skin.

Blood runs down my arm slowly, the pain of my brother and best friend being gone slowly disappearing.

My body feels numb as I watch each open wound bleed. The salty tears keep falling from my eyes onto my arms, causing a slight sting.

I hear the front door open as I sit in the bathroom floor, weeping.

"Quinn?" I hear Luke's confused voice.

He walks into the bedroom repeating my name.

"Quinn?"

His footsteps get closer to the closed bathroom as the knob turns.

"Quinn you in he-" he stops mid-sentence when he sees me.

"Oh my god."

He falls to his knees next to me and places his large hands over my arms. Applying pressure to stop the blood trail.

"Quinn why did you do this??"

I choke on tears as I try to respond, he won't get it.

"I-I, my brother, he's, its the day he died." I ramble out, trying to make sense but the words just don't go together.

"baby girl, come here." He lets go of my arms and holds his arms out, welcoming me in.

"It's okay, you know he wouldn't be proud of this if he were here. You know that."

I nod as I burry my face in his neck, covering his favorite shirt in blood and tears.

I straddle his lap as he holds me tightly in the bathroom floor.

"It's okay." he coos, trying to comfort me in any way possible.

I dry up my tears and sniffle as he slightly rocks our bodies side to side.

"Let me look at your arms." He picks me up and places me on the bathroom counter.

He inspects my arms, lightly tracing his fingers over each mark I have made.

As he looks down I can see his eyes get glossy.

"I'm sorry Luke.." I grab his cheeks and kiss his forehead as a couple tears slide from his eyes.

He goes back to tending to my arms, cleaning me up, and bandaging me.

Without warning he picks me up again and takes me to the bed. Laying me down and then crawling over me to his side, pulling me close.

"So..do you want to talk about anything?" he asks

"My best friend, back home, his anniversary is in two days."

"How'd he pass?"

"Cancer, it ate him up."

"And your brother?"

"He was shot, in front of me."

Luke falls quiet.

"I'm so sorry."

I shrug it off, unsure of how I should respond to his apology. I choose to stay silent.

Luke holds me and keeps trying to comfort me.

"What do you want to eat for dinner?"Luke asks trying to change the subject and take my mind off of things.

"Pizza."

"Alright." he kisses my forehead and smiles at me.

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Loving me." I say quietly.

"Of course, I love every aspect of you. From the way you get sassy in the mornings, to the way you smile, or even the way you cry." he says

I crack a small smile and cause a huge one to appear on his face.

"There's that beautiful smile I've been dying to see since I got home."

"Shut up." I laugh and kiss him gently. My chapped lips meeting his soft lips.

"It's true." he says when we break apart.

Suddenly our conversation stops when someone knocks on the front door. Luke gets up to go see who it is while I lay in bed still.

A few seconds later I hear Luke call for me.

"Quinn...it's for you?"

I get up and slowly walk to our front door. As I round the corner there's a face I wasn't expecting to see.

"Mom?"