4. Jacket (Part Two)

School is not easy, and I'm uncomfortable, especially wearing Max's jacket. I tend to notice when the atmosphere around me is changing, and it is. People who don't spend a second noticing me actually notice me. For example, Whitney.

"Hey, Kate. Nice jacket," she says.

Bitch, I think to myself.

"Hi Whitney," I say instead.

"You know, most girls would be ecstatic to be able to wear one of those, not embarrassed. Unless there's another reason for why you're wearing it..." She twists her blonde hair around her finger, and walks away.

There are six lunch periods in a nine period day and I just happen to share it with her. At least I have lunch with Leanne.

I sit down at an empty table and reach into my bag. I have no lunch, but two bottles of fluid. One bottle of oolong tea, which is supposed to promote weight loss, and one big bottle of water.

Leanne is always late to lunch. She has AP calculus right before this, and it's all the way in the opposite side of the building.

As if on cue, Leanne slides into the seat next to me.

"I wouldn't have known it was you except for the tea. Dead giveaway," Leanne says.

"Yeah, well, you know me."

"But oh my God!!!" She squeals, "You and Max! Holy shit, you totally have to give me like, some credit for this!"

"Definitely, but I just... I don't know if this is all to soon, or rushed or something. Like I feel like we're still strangers, you know?" I have to admit, this has been my life long dream, but I didn't want it to happen this way. I wanted things to happen on their own.

"I get it. I knew Dylan long before we started dating, and to be honest, I thought he was an asshole at first-"

"Who's an asshole?" Dylan asks, putting his hands on Leanne's shoulders.

"You," Leanne says smiling. She doesn't even have to turn around to tell it's him.

"Yeah?" Dylan says, kissing her cheek and sitting down on the other side of Leanne.

"Hi, Kate. How's it goin'?"

"Hey, Dylan. What's up?" I say smiling. I love the two of them, no matter what happens they make it work.

Leanne doesn't even let Dylan reply and says, "I hate AP calculus."

"I thought you loved math?" I said. This is the first time in the entire year that Leanne has complained about it and the year is more than half over.

"Not when I'm the only one in the class! The seniors have colleges visiting that period so I'm either the only one in the class who's passing or in the class with people who just have no interest in picking a college OR," she exaggerates, "the other people have a scholarship. The teacher treats me like I'm a kid just because I'm not graduating this year."

"You could, you know..." I say.

"What? No I can't," Leanne looks at me like I'm on crack or something.

"Lea, I added all you credits, you can graduate this year. All your classes are AP, you've taken so many classes you haven't had a lunch in three years, and you've already gotten excepted to like four amazing colleges like Cornell and Harvard," Leanne just stares at me, then grabs her bag and walks outside.

"Leanne, wait!" I call after her, Dylan knows enough now that when this happens, I have to be the one to make it right again.

She doesn't stop walking until she gets to the farthest picnic table, besides the entrance to the lacrosse field. Leanne has always felt comfort in places where she can dominate others, so the lacrosse field is perfect for her. She doesn't play lacrosse, but she uses the field for field hockey. In all the time I've known Leanne, she's loved feeling like she matters but not necessarily powerful. She's confusing, competitive, and crazy but that's why everyone loves her, but above all, she doesn't treat anyone like an indifferent.

I watch her put her bag on the table and she runs her hands over her forehead and though her hair. She's either pissed or sad, that's her tell.

Leanne is farther away then I thought she was. She walks twice as fast as I do, and at this point, I can barely breathe. It's been 78 hours since my last meal and I'm beginning to feel it like a sudden rush.

I stop, and the world around me spins, my backpack sliding off my shoulder and landing with a loud thump on the cold ground. It's loud enough so Leanne turns and looks at me. I try to fight it, but the more I do, the worse it gets. My vision starts to blur, and that's when I know I'm not making it through the day without eating. 

Almost as if Leanne knows I'm going to collapse, she starts jogging over to me, but she's too late. I hit the ground hard and my eyes shut.