25. No Clue

MAX'S POV

"There are a lot of players this season in spring training who are new. The Mets have a handful of new players I've never heard of before," Dylan says.

"Really? I haven't been watching spring training this year," I say. It's not that I don't like baseball, but spring training is a little boring to watch.

We walk out of the locker room and start walking past the field to the parking lot.

"Hey-" Dylan says elbowing me, "Is that Kate?"

I look up and see Kate on the bleachers with her brother, "I'm going to go over and talk to her. She said she wanted to talk about what happened this weekend. I don't know, she's been acting different than when we first started dating."

"I'm just going to say hi then go, that's ok?"

"Yeah," I reply, walking up to the bleachers.

"Hi," Jake says, laying Kate down on the bleachers.

"Is she ok?" I ask, I mean obviously she isn't but I don't know what's wrong with her.

"I don't know, she said she she didn't know either so she didn't do it to herself on purpose," Jake explains.

"Did you call someone?" I ask.

"I didn't know who to call, I was going to call my dad so he can come get her but I think she needs to go to the doctor."

"Well, call your dad first. I'd say we should get the nurse but there isn't much she could do for Kate," I say.

I walk past Jake and kneel down next to Kate, "Hey," I say pushing her away from her face.

"Max?" She replies so quietly you'd miss it if you weren't listening carefully.

"Yeah, hi. What's wrong?" I ask.

"My head hurts so bad, I can't see and my stomach hurts. It's hard to hear you, everything is echoing," she says. She sounds like she's going to cry.

"Who should we call?" Jake comes over and sits on the seat one row up.

"Dad," she says, a tear dripping down the side of her face.

I wipe it away and wait for Jake to call their dad.

"He'll be here in a few minutes," Jake says.

I carry Kate on my back so I don't draw too much attention to her, there are still quite a few people still on campus.

Jake follows with Kate's bag and Dylan carries mine, they walk behind me while Kate rests her head on my shoulders and holds tightly to my body.

I hear someone ask, "What's wrong with her?"

And Dylan says, "She's getting a cold and fell asleep, she's fine."

But clearly, she isn't fine.

We meet Mr. Dunn in the parking lot and he greets us rather calmly considering his daughter is all of a sudden sick from nothing she think of doing to herself.

"Put her in the back seat," he says.

He opens the door to his car and I sit down on the seat and detach Kate from my back. I buckle her seat belt and get out of the car. Carrying her makes me realize how thin she really is, she couldn't be more than a hundred pounds.