33. Leaving Her

MAX'S POV

Mom is speaking in German to me because she doesn't want Kate to know we're talking about her.

"Max, you have to talk to her everyday while you two are apart. She needs you and you need to be there to listen to whatever she has to say, even if it's just the small things," Mom tells me.

I look at Kate as she puts my alarm clock in a box. So much for I could look at her all day everyday. Now, I'll only see her on holidays and computer screens.

She turns and smiles at me, and I smile back. If only she knew what we were talking about.

"I know, Mom. I'm going to miss her so much and I don't want to leave her, but she's been well for almost a year. I think she can take care of herself but I don't want to find out she can't."

"Which is why you need to talk to her all the time, I know you will anyways but it's so important that you keep in touch," Mom says.

"I have to go pick up Marley from gymnastics, it'll take at least an hour and a half. Kate, honey, if you have to go before I get back, I'll see you soon," Mom says, walking over to Kate.

"Don't hug her yet, Mom. She's stuck with me all day, I say before Kate has a chance to say anything.

"Don't listen to him, Kate. You can leave anytime you want," Mom says smiling, and she rubs Kate's shoulder before going upstairs.

"This morning you were saying you were going to replay each song you and Colin learned together before you leave, how many songs is that?" I ask, continuing to put things in boxes.

"Enough to fill a book," Kate replies, folding my sweatshirt.

I walk over to my bed and start pulling she sheets off. Kate comes over and helps me pull the fitted sheet off and we fold it together.

I put the sheets and pillow cases in the box with my sweatshirt and sit on my chair. Kate comes over and sits next to me, fitting her small body between me and the arm of the chair. She slides a little towards me because I make the bigger indent in the cushion.

She leans on my chest and I put my arms around her waist, pulling her closer.

We watch Friends for the next hour until she falls asleep, and I fall asleep with her back on my chest.

I wake up to the sound of a camera click and I open my eyes to see my mother.

"Ach, Mom! What are you doing?" I say, sitting up a little.

Kate lifts her head and brushes her hair out of her face, looking at me.

"I came home about 45 minutes ago and I didn't hear anything so I came to check on you and you two were just so cute that I had to take a photograph," Mom says.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"5:45," Mom says.

"Oh, I have to go!" Kate exclaims, "I'm having dinner with my mom tonight and I said I'd be back my 6:00."

"I'm going to start dinner, Max," Mom says.

Kate gets up and walks over to Mom. I stand and watch her hug Kate and say something in Kate's ear. Kate smiles and thanks Mom.