Eight.

Knock, knock, knock.

"Come in," She called, to a very shaggy looking Harry, holding an envelope and staring at her intently.

"Draco Malfoy sent a letter to The Order. Does that make sense to you?"

"What, who's Draco? I know Lucius..." She played, her heart beating too fast.

"His son, and someone no one in this house gets along with well. He wouldn't have contacted anyone here unless he's going mad... Or unless he's looking for you."

She was terrified now, but she was also a great actress, showing no emotion in her eyes.

"I don't see why he would, no. Open it, what's it say?"

Harry opened the envelope and followed the few words with his eyes.

"Says, know nothing, im sorry, love you too, night.

Draco. Who's Night?"

"I don't know... He's either mad or the owl doesn't know where it's going, because that makes no sense."

Harry read the letter a few times over, before glaring at her with hostility.

"If anything else weird comes up, and you seem suspicious, you're out, got it?"

"Understood, sorry."

He left, leaving her with nothing but shaking, nervous insides and blotchy red skin from the indescribable nervousness. He could've found out if Draco was any stupider, and she was thanking God he wasn't.

She remembered when she first got her nickname Night.

"Draco Lucius Malfoy! Get out of my room!" She yelled, fiesty, chasing him out as he laughed obnoxiously.

"Too late, already got your diary!" He laughed in his stupid evil little voice, high pitched and childish. Pyxis, in that moment, hated her older brother. "What's this? Dear Diary, my last day of Hogwarts was eventful and absolutely amazing... Should I go on, Pyx?"

"Draaaaco, stop! I'm sure you keep a diary, too!"

Draco blushed at this.

"Do not!"

She laughed. "You do!"

"Want me to stop reading about your last day?"

"Duh!" She exclaimed, chasing him through the longest hallway at their manor, rushing through the dark green walls and using all of her might to catch up with him. She was only 11, then, and him twelve, so her child-like energy had not yet left her, meaning boy, could she run.

"Then shut up!"

Pyxis kept chasing him until he reached the library at the end of the hall - the biggest room in the house, filled from floor to ceiling with books upon books.

By the time she made it in there, Draco had put her diary in a place she could not find it, and stood in the middle, smiling, laughing at her anger.

"I'll read as much as I want now." He said, adding a small smirk that was absolutely evil.

"I hate you." She said, pouting and turning around, and just as he was about to push past her to his room, she tackled him to the ground, his head hitting the ground with a thump as she used all of her muscle and punched his back over and over again. He flipped her over, punching her in the face before their Mom ran over to them, seperating them and scolding as they both rubbed their injuries, Draco tending a bloody nose and a bruised back, while Pyxis dealt with her black eye.

For the rest of the day, she was locked in her room, crying, upset that Draco might read her secrets and make fun of her. Draco, too, was locked up, punished for antagonizing his younger sister.

Late that night, however, she grew increasingly upset and was intent on finding the book he had so well hidden from her. Pyxis creeped through the hallway, avoiding the squeakiest of the floorboards, light on her feet, and into the empty library. Assuming it was halfway through the evening - maybe 2 in the morning - she was up maybe 5 hours searching for that diary that held her dearest secret - her first kiss.

In hindsight, she still wishes that to be her dearest secret. Now, secrets are complicated and deadly. Now, a secret can ruin lives.

For an entire fortnight, Pyxis was a thorough searcher for the small red book, containing pages upon pages of details; her crush, her kiss, the drama, and the feelings that she shared only with herself and her dearest friend, Rebel. This process of staying up night after night, sleeping during the day, made her as nocturnal as the owls, and she earned her nickname Night. Draco, from that point forward, called her that to conceal her identity, and to show when he wanted to be truly kind and sympathetic. These were rare moments, but genuinely wonderful when they came along.

She thanked Draco for stealing her diary years ago and giving her that nickname. Right now, being Night saved her ass. She thanked God for the luck she was having.

Her childhood flooded back to her. She hated it, yet it's moments that were lovely were truly lovely. She loved Hogwarts, she loved Slytherin at times, she loved heart to hearts with Draco, her best friend Rebel, watching other people in other houses, eating candy, sneaking out, and burying her face in a good book. She loved to run, run to get her mind off of things, run to sweat, run to feel adrenaline in a safer way, and just to be fast, just to know she could get away. She loved watching nature - leaves swaying, bugs buzzing, birds in song - she would forget her stress through these things. She loved some aspects of life, and she was terrified this war was stealing her of the simple pleasures she had.

Rebel Valence was her best friend. They only met about half way through 4th year, in which a large portion of their time at Hogwarts had already passed. But they met and they clicked. They met in the library, both searching for the same book which there was only one copy of. After arguing for ten minutes, the librarian was extremely fed up, and they were forced to both check out the book together and analyze it as a pair. The fire they both possessed, the determination, and the intelligence brought them close quickly. From that point onward, starting at about page 128 in the 530 page book, they realized they were way to similar to not be friends. So best friends they became. And it was a fully functional, truly great friendship.

After the battle of Hogwarts, Rebel doubted Pyxis's alliance to the right cause, and they drifted from each other.  The bond they had diminished, and the fun times sneaking out, reading, sharing secrets and watching the world together, faded to muted memories that she can only help but smile when she thinks of. Bittersweet was the only way to describe it.

Reality was back with her when Hermione called her name, summoning her to eat, and she went to dine. But in the back of her mind, all she could do was think back. Life had been so fulfilling. She wanted it back.

--
back again.  Pictured is rebel, who is imagined to be rather short and with a curvier frame (imagine 5'1, big hips, big butt).

xx, Nox.