Chapter 11

Storm P.O.V.

Time seemed to fly by with Honor around. His second birthday had come and gone without much fuss. We had a small party at home-- just me, Artemis, Raven, and Honor. Even then, she had showered him with gifts. This year, Artemis had gone all out. She reserved one of those little covered picnic areas at the rec center and invited everyone. "Think you can fit anymore streamers up there?" I teased, holding the ladder as she strung up blue and silver ribbons around the ceiling. She frowned, looking around. All of the tables had blue table clothes, decorated with silver balloons as centerpieces. A balloon was tied to all four corners of one table and streamers were laid out in a star pattern underneath a small pile of presents. "Happy 3rd Birthday!" was painted on a banner and hung up across the roof (if you could call it that) and ribbons were tied around the posts that held it up. "It is a bit much, isn't it?" she fretted. "Raven, what do you think?" He was sitting on the roof above us, looking out for Honor. "Storm's crazy, it's perfect!" he shouted in reply. I could hear the grin in his voice. I smiled and reached up, grabbing Artemis around the waist and pulling her off of the ladder. "Relax, love. I was only kidding," I assured, kissing her softly. "Be careful, mkay? Don't overwork yourself." She looked up at me and nodded a little. Knowing her though, she wouldn't listen. "He's here! He's here!" Raven cheered, swooping down and landing in front of us. Sure enough, Edward and Kairo were walking across the park with Artemis's little sister, who was carrying Honor. "Mommy!" he squealed, waving at us. We waved back, and Artemis bounced around anxiously. Athena set him down, and he took off running toward us.

"Hi babyboy!" she grinned, scooping him up and spinning him around. "Hi Mommy!" he replied, hugging her tight. He absolutely adored his mother. "Did you have fun at PopPop's and Gramma's?" Artemis asked, shifting him over to rest on her hip as she continued setting things up. "Yeah! Auntie Athena taught me how to count to thirty! Wanna see?" he asked, his dark eyes shimmering with excitement. "Of course!" Artemis nodded. "Let's hear it little man," Raven grinned. He took a deep breath and started counting. "Onetwothreefourfi-- are all those presents mine?" Raven chuckled and ruffled his hair. "Sure is, Honor." He smiled at Raven and then turned back to Artemis. "Can I open 'em? Please please please?" he begged. "Not until everyone gets here," I sighed, shaking my head. Artemis nuzzled his cheek affectionately before setting him down. "Papa Storm's right sweetie. You have to wait," she frowned. He nodded and ran back to his grandparents. "Mommy and Stom won't let me open my pwesents!" he tattled. "Well, if Mommy says so, then you have to listen," Edward chuckled, ruffling his grandson's hair. "Maybe he can open just one," Kairo said, pulling a little bag out of her purse. He quickly opened it, and inside was a small, handmade grey bunny. Artemis crossed her arms and grumbled, "Pushover." She was answered with a musical laugh from her mother. "Speaking of Mommy," Edward sighed, walking over to Artemis and pulling her into a one-armed hug, "how is my daughter doing?" She blushed and hugged him tight. "I'm okay, Daddy. You don't think I overdid it, do you? Storm thinks I did," she pouted, looking up at him with her adorable golden eyes and batting her eyelashes. "Well-- it is...erm, maybe just a bit much for a three year old," he replied, scratching his head nervously. She frowned and swatted his shoulder. "You guys suck," she growled. "Just look at Honor. He loves it!" Honor was playing with his aunt, hugging the stuffed rabbit his grandmother had just given him. "He does, he does," Edward sighed. "And that's what matters. Oh! Your brother is bringing his girlfriend--"

"Wife," Kairo corrected. "That's right, he's bringing his wife to meet us. Damn boy runs off and elopes without even one word to his family," he grumbled. "Be nice," Kairo warned, a hard edge to her voice. Artemis smiled innocently, rocking back and forth on her heels. "Nice? Of course. Whatever you say," she chimed before turning around and going back to decorating. I just rolled my eyes as she hummed softly to herself. "Hey Mom! Hey Dad!" Apollo yelled from across the park, as if on cue. A tall, slender woman was with him, her hair a pale white-blonde. "Birdy, catch!" Artemis called, jumping off of the ladder. Raven caught her effortlessly, setting her on the ground. He gave me a look that practically screamed, "She's insane!" I chuckled softly as I took a seat at one of the tables. Raven came to sit next to me and squeezed my hand gently. "She sure is excited," he murmured, watching her sprint across the grass to her brother and the woman accompanying him. "It is good to have such passion and joy, even as an adult," Kairo chimed in as she sat across the table from us, Edward following her.