Chapter 1

As the dark, cold metal cage rose higher, the two girls huddled together for warmth.

"Who are you?" one girl asked the other over the grinding of metal gears and pulleys.

"I don't know" she replied "All I know is that my name is Amber and I need to save him".

"Save who?"

"I don't know" Amber said. "What about you?"

"What about me?" the other girl asked confused by the question.

"Who are you?" Amber pressed trying to get the answer she wanted.

"I know the same as you, that my name is Emily and I need to save him" Emily says disappointed after a few minutes of thinking.

"I wonder who he is" Amber pondered aloud.

"Yeah, whoever he is he must be important" Emily agreed.

They sat in silence for almost half an hour until they felt the cage jolt to a stop.

"Should we fight them" Amber asked Emily, unsure of who them would be.

"Yes" Emily said in monotone. "I think we should act scared and as normal as possible and when one of us sees a chance for the both of us shout 'Watermelon' and do whatever we need to do to get away" she added.

"Watermelon?" Amber asked at the random word that her new friend had come up with.

"Yes, I mean who would expect that" Emily replied.

"Fair enough". It was a little while until someone spoke again.

"You have a strong british accent you know, maybe that means something about your past or family or something" Emily said. All that greeted her comment was a small grunt. Then the sound of clanging and the movement of objects as if someone was looking for something fill the cage. Because they were. Emily felt Amber slip a sharp small object into her hand. A knife. Probably one for cooking but if they didn't know what they were up against they might as well be prepared for as much as possible.

"Watermelon?" Amber said.

"Watermelon" Emily replied with a small nod of her head.

At that moment they both stood up. The sound of metal and pulleys had started again yet they weren't moving. Light had suddenly flooded the room with colour and it was so bright that the two girls needed to shield their eyes. While their eyes were still adjusting they could hear the eager chatter of young boys. When their eyes finally adjusted to the light they saw that that was exactly what it was.

"A girl" one said.

AN hi thank you so much for reading the next update will be next tuesday maybe even earlier. Just so you know, we are an active account so we will definitely will have updates at least once a week. So enjoy and once again thank you if you read our first chapter.

-mazerunnerlovers21