Chapter 2

Amber's P.O.V.

"Two" he added after noticing there is two of us.

"Some bloody brilliant observation skills you got there" words rushing out of my mouth before I realise what I'm actually saying. I saw the boy who talked and I nearly let my jaw hang. He is a tall asian boy with muscular body. Very muscular. And cute. I shook my head to empty it of those thoughts.

"Damn, that one has the same accent as Newt" another boy said.

"Damn, that one also has a name and it's Amber, and this," I motioned to the girl beside me "is Emily". It was the first time I had really been able to see the girl I was with in the dark cage. She has golden-brown hair and beautiful brown eyes. She also is very thin and probably about 16. Then a horrible thought hit me I didn't even know how old I am. Not even what I bloody look like. I thought that maybe we just had amnesia but they remember at least that much. I look back at the boys standing above us.

"Is someone gonna help us out of this thing or what?" I ask.

As I gave one last heave I pulled myself over the edge of the cage. Emily gave me her hand and help me up to my feet. I mumbled a quick "Thanks" and then turned away to evaluate our situation and take in my surroundings. The first thing I found myself looking at was the group of boys in front of us, who were all now whispering and chattering amongst themselves. All boys, where are the girls I think to myself.

"Where are we?" Emily asks. It's the first time she's talked since the cage was opened.

"We call it the Glade," a voice from behind me said. I swivel around to see a dark skinned guy, probably about 18. "And we're Gladers. I'm Alby" he continued, a scowl on his face as if he'd said those words too many times. I look at Emily and see her mouth start to open to ask another question but the Alby fella cut her off when he raised his hand.

"All of you questions will be answered tomorrow. For now let's just find you somewhere to sleep" Alby said. At that he turned away to shoo away all the other boys. Once most of their backs were turned, the only one's left were the Asian boy and a blond boy with a limp whose eyes seemed fixed on Emily. I turned and said one word.

"Watermelon?" I asked. She didn't speak. She shook her head as if to say not yet and whispered "later, we need more answers".

By now Alby had finished shooing away the other boys, now only 7 people remained around the metal cage. It was silent for a moment which gave me time to look at my surroundings. I was now in a large field and courtyard covered in boys. From what I could see there was about 50 of them all of them probably between 12-18. The youngest looking boy was a chubby kid with curly hair standing near the box. But that wasn't what intrigued me. The thing I couldn't take my eyes off of is the four large stone walls, covered in various shades of green ivy that surrounded the place. The Glade. That's what the boys called it. My eyes scanned the walls, I noticed each gigantic wall had a exit that led out to somewhere.

"Never go into the maze" Alby said sternly.

"Huh" Emily and I said in unison we must have both been in a daze.

"I don't have time to explain this" Alby said clearly annoyed. "Minho, Newt tell these greenies the rules in the glade and everything they need to know" he ordered before walking into a large timber structure. They nodded to each other.

"I'll take her majesty here" the Minho guy smirked as he gestured to me.

"Pip, pip" I said sarcastically. Emily looked over at me I knew she was about to say watermelon when we heard the angry screeches of a tall, muscular boy with a disgusted scowl that would scare away any life form.

"Who are you and why are you here!" he yelled his face turned a sickening shade of purple.

"Gally just leave them alone" Minho defended.

"They are not supposed to be here" Gally shrieked.

"Like the bloody rest of us are?" Newt

Emily took a deep breath before whispering "It's time. WATERMELON!