First Day in Duke University

Drew

Summer ended and it was time for out first year in Duke University, which is a little nervous wrecking because of all the new faces I was going to see.  The only familiar people I was going to see was Michel, Natty, and Riley.  It was going to be weird going to school everyday with Riley because of the last four years we had with each other.  We went to different high schools and we rarely saw each other.  The only time we saw each other was the weekend unless one of us has plans on a certain Saturday or Sunday.  it was nearly impossible to see each other after school ended because we both had basketball practice until 6 and homework came next. The only way we contacted each other was by text message. Now I have nothing to worry because I could see her anytime now. Summer went great as Riley and I had our first date. I guess you can say it wad pretty awkward when you have two couples are just blushing cutely when facing each other. Riley and I are still shy and sensitive around each other, so there would be more blushing between us.  Today, we found out that we both had the same classes except for the last two classes.  It was kind of a bummer, but yet again, it would be weird having all of our classes together.  I mean, who knows, maybe sometimes we need to be alone at times, but I hope she might understand that if I need that space.  We sat together through a lecture of English (my favorite subject so far in school)  and for some odd reason, I couldn't help but to stare at her.  Its either 'How did I not realize this' or the 'She changed!.'  At where I was sitting, she looked cuter than she was a year ago after high school. I wondered if she took some sort of drugs or something to make her look cuter, but I'm pretty sure Riley wouldn't do something like that and went through a natural change. I continue to stare at her until she turned to my direction and caught me staring as she slowly blush shyly. She looked cuter blushing. All of a sudden, I felt someone bumping me in the ribs gently and I turned to see Michel with a smirk on his face. 

"I see you drooling over her ever since last year, yet you haven't tried it yet."  I looked at him in confusion. 

"Tried what?"  He looked around for a second and leaned near my ear to whisper softly.

"Kiss."  My cheeks turned pink in blush, wishing my soft hearted feeling inside would stop making me... well, soft hearted.  I should be used to being around pretty girls, but something makes Riley different.  There was something or someway she made me feel soft hearted around her, but I didn't know what it was.  "Come on, what are you thinking now?" 

"Nothing, just about life."  He shook his head in disappointment. 

"I'm telling you man.  You should go for it.  You already admitted that you love her and you have been with her for a year.  You got to do something to impress her."  I chuckled, finding it hard to believe that Michel was such an expert in loving relationships.  I wonder which girl is in his heart right now. 

"What about you?  Any girl you're hitting up right now?"  He smirked and nodded. 

"Yeah.  She's pretty cute and hot too and you know her better than I do."  I raised one eyebrow as I tried to respond but the teacher announced that class was over.  

Riley

I took a deep breath and checked the time on my phone as it read: 3:45.  Great, first basketball tryout was going to be awesome, not.  I walked down the hallway to the gym slowly thinking about the past few weeks.  First day of college was tough; so many things to worry about like school, basketball tryouts, and definitely deciding to do cheerleader tryouts after season ends.  I gotta admit, with me being this busy, I feel kind of lonely.  I was being my old jerky self like last year.  I lost trust of my friends, and I tried to stay away from Drew as much as possible.  All of a sudden, I stopped and stare down on the floor in shock.  Drew.  I haven't been hanging out with him in such a long time.  I saw him on our last class where he kept staring at me, but the last time we ever talked was about 3 weeks.  God damn, what kind of friend am I?  I shouldn't have texted him so we could hang out or something.  He'a probably going to say no anyways.  Just then, something crept on my shoulder gently and then I heard a loud faint whisper causing me to shiver in fear.

"Where are you going? Come play with me."  I quickly turned around and I saw a freaky mask that jump scared me, causing me to scream.  Just then, Natty appeared behind the mask as she laughed mockingly.  "Oh my gosh.  You shouldn't have seen the look on your face!  So priceless."  She continued to laugh uncontrollably as I crossed my arms and gave her a dirty look. 

"What the hell Natty?  Why are you trying to scare me?"  Natty recovered from her laughing with one her hand on the locker. 

"You seemed really down today, so I decided to cheer you up."  I raised one of my eyebrow at her. 

"You call that cheering up?"   She chuckled slightly and gave me a cute worried look.

"You alright though?  You look like someone one died."  I bit my lips nervously and backed away. 

"I don't really want to talk about it.  It sorts of bother me."  Natty sighed as she took my hand and pulled me towards the gym. 

"Come one now.  You don't want to be late for our first tryouts, do you?"