Secrets

Emeline stepped from the taxi hesitantly. She surveyed the home. It seemed so large and imposing. How could her grandfather have stood to live here alone? She felt a twinge of guilt for all the times he had written her asking her to come spend a summer with him. Now it was too late. She took a deep breath and walked around to the trunk of the vehicle to fetch her luggage. She paid the driver and as he sped away, she almost wished she had stayed in that back seat even just a few minutes longer. What awaited her beyond those giant double doors?

As if reading her mind, the doors opened just a bit and a pale face peaked out.  Bright red hair fell from behind narrow shoulders and black eyes peered at her with curiosity. "Miss Emeline?" a timid voice queried. When Emeline nodded, the doors flew wide open and the girl came rushing down the stairs to embrace her. Emeline stiffened at the unfamiliar gesture, but patted the girl's back in a slightly awkward albeit accepting manner.

"And you are...?" The girl seemed to know about her, but Emeline had never been warned about anyone else being at the estate.

"I am Claire. I was the late Master's companion and assistant. I will be here to help with anything you may require." She curtsied and her red hair bobbed in a way that made Emeline jealous.

"Well, thank you, but no one told me there was anyone still living in the house. I was under the assumption it was empty."

"This house has never been empty." Claire seemed to speak so easy, as if the two had always known each other. Emeline wasn't sure how to take this news, but she nodded and picked up her bags, motioning for Claire to lead the way. The little woman was more than happy to oblige and led them both up the grand stair case into the manor.

Emeline was lost for words as she took in the grandeur that now surrounded her. This was definitely not the world she was expecting. She gazed at the many portraits that covered the walls. She basked in the beauty of the crystal chandelier that hung overhead. She dreamed of what this place had looked like in its early years, hosting nobility and dignitaries of all kinds.

"Beautiful," she breathed.